Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I used to eat a lot of mountain house pro pak meals. Those are the smaller, easier to pack mountain house meals. They taste pretty good, but are loaded with salt. I started saving packs two hunting seasons ago in hopes of making my own. Well last year I made my own and they turned out realy well. I did up pounds of ground elk on plastic sheet in my excalibur dehydrator. I'd take that and throw in some ramen noodles (minus there seasoning that has msg in it) and put in some alpine touch (best stuff on earth from MT!). Those meals were super tasty and took about the same time as the mountain houses to rehydrate. I also pack string cheese, bagels, pepporoni sausage, deer/elk jerky, trail mix, home dehydrated apples, fruit strips and yogurt strips. For hot breakfasts I'd do oatmeals with some home dehydrated blueberries and or apples. PB and J is also another staple in my pack. Variety for me is a good thing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The cost of a case of MRE's is a phone call. If you have a buddy in the guard on weekend drills, they come home with those guys everytime!. I usually trade a beer or two in there for him too!
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mountain house is good stuff. Costco sells cases at a good price. I always pack jerky candy and or granola bars and the must have dehydrated banana slices.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    MRE's you can get at an Army/Navy store in Montana.As far as what I take into the backcountry if it's under 3 day I go MREs and I like them all.Over 3 days I go Mountain House and take trail mix,jerky,wilderness athlete bars,cheese and crackers and I put a days worth of food in a gallon zipbag great eastmans tip.
    Can you handle the challenge.... hunt hard but safe!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Pick up David Long's book on hunting public land mulies. It is a great resource for bck counrty trips.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mountain house fan here but I have to admit usually about mid September and I've ate every flavor they make I can't stand them.

I found these guys at the OR show this winter in Salt lake. http://www.nutriom.com/what-we-make.html

They are real eggs that have been powdered and actually taste really good. You can put them in a zip lock bag with a little water and then boil the bag to make scrambled eggs. I did this at home the other day and was pretty impressed. A good alternative for a food option outside of mountain house.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like the Mtn Houses meals. I usually get them at REI when they are on sale. Where is the cheapest place to buy them? I would even consider buying cases on them to have if the price is right.
    "Release the Kraken"
    Genesis 27:3

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    I like the Mtn Houses meals. I usually get them at REI when they are on sale. Where is the cheapest place to buy them? I would even consider buying cases on them to have if the price is right.
    Costco was selling them by the case... if I remember right you ended up saving around a dollar a piece by buying them this way. Heading to Costco today, I'll take a look again and let you know what I find.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Peanut butter and bacon sands...I know sounds gross, but try one. I put mine on cold french toast. Thats a boat load of calories,protien and sodium. I think a whole sand is around 12 to 1400 calories..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    Costco was selling them by the case... if I remember right you ended up saving around a dollar a piece by buying them this way. Heading to Costco today, I'll take a look again and let you know what I find.
    Costco has a case of ten meals for $39.99... guess that makes them about $4 a piece.