Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Otc ?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts

Otc ?

I think its time for me to start thinking about other states for a good mule deer. I'm not too big on waiting 5 to 10 years to go hunting, but if thats what i need to do I need to start. So what optoins are out there? I would like an area that has the potential for a good buck (170) or better. I would prefer a rifle hunt, but bow or smoke pole will work too. I'm not afraid of getting too far from the truck/camp either. My forecast is first hunt in 2014, is there anything out there for a DIY guy like me? Or do I need to start the points game? Not looking for honey holes, just suggestions.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 3 Posts
    Sounds kinda crazy when I say it, but CA has quite a few zones just south of you about 300 miles, where you can harvest 2 deer. You can buy A,B., and just about all D zones otc. Premium tags(x zones) apps are due by 6/2, 5pm. OTC tags can be purchased at any sporting store in the state, not bad.
    Primarily blacktails on the western slope and muleys on the eastern slope, which are a pp draw. Some nice backtails in the b zones, all otc. Long seasons, liberal limits. Not many look at CA for hunting, but let me tell you, its worth a look.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Idaho, some units in colorado require few points and offer great trophy potential, MT is just about an OTC general tag these days and offers good hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BossBrott View Post
    Sounds kinda crazy when I say it, but CA has quite a few zones just south of you about 300 miles, where you can harvest 2 deer. You can buy A,B., and just about all D zones otc. Premium tags(x zones) apps are due by 6/2, 5pm. OTC tags can be purchased at any sporting store in the state, not bad.
    Primarily blacktails on the western slope and muleys on the eastern slope, which are a pp draw. Some nice backtails in the b zones, all otc. Long seasons, liberal limits. Not many look at CA for hunting, but let me tell you, its worth a look.
    Boss!!! Your giving away secrets!!!! There isn't ANY deer in California people! Move on, nothing to see here!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    B zone used to be good. Way over hunted. Didn't help when the media found out about the marbles and trinity alps and printed them as the top blacktail areas. you dont see a tenth of the deer you did ten years ago and it was low then. Trophy quality is non existent. Lots and lots of predators. Washington seems to have good opportunity

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 3 Posts
    Trophy quality is non existent.
    Oooookay.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    Dont worry, I'm not going to Cali. I can hunt blacktail within 2 hrs from home OTC. I've been hunting Blacktail for 30 years, I'm a little burned out hunting those ghosts. I've never killed a really nice Mule Deer and the oportunities in Oregon are few and far between.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    I think its time for me to start thinking about other states for a good mule deer. I'm not too big on waiting 5 to 10 years to go hunting, but if thats what i need to do I need to start. So what optoins are out there? I would like an area that has the potential for a good buck (170) or better. I would prefer a rifle hunt, but bow or smoke pole will work too. I'm not afraid of getting too far from the truck/camp either. My forecast is first hunt in 2014, is there anything out there for a DIY guy like me? Or do I need to start the points game? Not looking for honey holes, just suggestions.

Personally I think building up preference points and then drawing a tag in a hard to draw area is going to be the best option if you were wanting to take a trophy class deer. The OTC areas tend to have a lower number of trophy deer and theses areas seem to be a little over hunted. The trophy deer are in the OTC counter areas but they seem to be feww and far between. Limited draw areas have more good bucks and you could probably pass over quite a few bucks and find a really good one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I've brought it up before, Timberstalker, but some of the best deer killed in MT are killed in general areas.

Something to think about.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I've brought it up before, Timberstalker, but some of the best deer killed in MT are killed in general areas.

Something to think about.
    I agree that some of the best deer killed are in general areas, I have seen some really big deer come out of the area I hunt. Most of the big ones that I have seen have been taken on or at least near private land. The opportunity to kill a really good buck in general areas is there but you either have to pay a pretty significant trespass fee or an outfitter to get the best oppotunities to get them. I guess it all depends on the area a person would choose to hunt in.