Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    I myself like having at least one other person. I know its not always possible, so on those days I adjust my hunt. It's more for company, motivation, safety, and of course another set of hands if something gets the sleeping pill. I give those who go out alone for days in the backcountry a ton of credit, that takes some cajones!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Root View Post
    For an elk or bigger, that does sound like a good option or get in touch with a horse/mule packer ahead of time and have or rent a satellite phone. When you get your animal you can arrange the pack out help for those bigger animals, depending how far back you get the animal. The Sat phones rentals are pretty reasonable as an option these days.

http://www.mobal.com/satellite-phone-rental/
    You can also set up one of your SPOT messages to get ahold of your packer, complete with lat/long and a link to google maps so he/she knows where to go.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 5 Posts
    the best part of the packout is setting my pack down on the tailgate.

I will never forget 9/17/2011 @ 8:00pm, when I took my pack frame loaded with the head and horns from my ram and set it on the tailgate. After two weeks of solo hunting, I've never felt more relief and gratification, and probably never will.
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 03-14-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    Well said Timberstalker. I packed a few bucks 5-7 miles out of the Cascade mts on the high buck hunt, and doing it all buy yourself makes the hunt even more worth it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    You can also set up one of your SPOT messages to get ahold of your packer, complete with lat/long and a link to google maps so he/she knows where to go.
    The SPOT is a great tool. My wife loves the SPOT tracking me and my check in prearranged messages. It gives her a bit more comfort getting a message that I'm ok check in from me. Sending a message direct to a packer via SPOT. That's a good idea Bitterroot Bulls.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just did it!I love to see what's on the other side of the mountain.It was like a fire inside me and it was the only way to put it out.And now I can't get enough of it.
    Can you handle the challenge.... hunt hard but safe!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I originally started solo hunting because I couldn't find anyone who wanted to pack in with me, and I was going regardless. I usually limit myself to about 5 miles in and as far from any trail as I can get. Don't see nearly as many people that way, but I see a lot more elk, take a lot more pictures, and I know a lot more about how to bone out and process a critter than I knew before. The longest I have every been in is 2.5 weeks, and I have packed out three elk by myself. You don't have to worry about gaining any weight. I actually work at trying not to lose any. Did have one bad knife incident the first time, but I am much better prepared for such things now. Came close to being trampled by elk at night a few times, and it is not unusual for them to keep you awake at night bugling next to your tent. One year I had a herd of 13 elk bed down next to my tent the night before season opened. I have heard that backpacking in to hunt like I do is called extreme hunting. Whatever the label I would say the way to get better is to keep doing it. !!!WARNING!!! Solo hunting can become addictive.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 1 Post
    I started solo hunting because I didn't have a choice. It was either go alone or don't go at all. I'd much rather just go alone if those are the options! I started out just solo shed hunting then last year it grew to solo antelope and elk hunting. I kind of like it because I can go at my own pace , go where I want to go and not hear any complaining that we are going too far. Im very social so it does get lonely. I usually end up talking to myself or the trees.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post

Solo

I had to get used to hunting solo out west because the majority of the time my buddies procrastinated. Then I got bonus points everywhere and they don't. After several trips I wanted the barrier to entry that was backpacking, to limit competition. So since then I have drawn several tags in areas where backpacking held advantages. Last year I packed in 4 miles and scored a 330" elk with my bow. At 52, one concession I made though is to not kid myself I could pack it out solo from there. I hired a local to bring a horse and pack it out.

To handle the solitude during my hunt, I take a cell phone, tiny radio, bear spray, and a Spot Messenger. They act as my security and substitute for live company.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    I usually end up talking to myself or the trees.
    I'll bet the trees are glad when you are done hunting Jen so that they can get some peace and quiet.