Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I went solo the season before last. I had planned on going with my brother, but he ended up unable to go. I thought about just not going, but my wife said "if you can't go by yourself, how are you going to take your boys." That of course is a very good point and anytime your wife tells you to "man up" you pretty much have to do it.

The first trip was tough. The days were ok, but the nights were long. Though the first night in, I heard my first ever bugle as I was setting up my tent. That was really cool and is something I won't forget. I made it three nights, I didn't come out with an elk, but I did come out with confidence that I can pack in solo if I need to (which may happen this year).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Below For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    I'll bet the trees are glad when you are done hunting Jen so that they can get some peace and quiet.
    LMAO. That is awesome!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have been hunting by myself for awhile now. I grew up hunting with some of my best friends in the world... I still cherish those memories with them.. But, things change and I am the only one of the gang that still hunts. I have never minded being by myself though to be honest. Sure there are things I miss about being with friends, but anymore, I like the solitude. I like being on my schedule and hunting the way that I want to hunt. I have tried hunting with a few new hunting friends, but it hasn't worked out.
    Hunt hard, and trust your instincts

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pete.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	3012 Finding someone to hunt how you want to, where you want to and when you want to is tough. I have found that Pete is always ready to go. Is this still considered solo hunting?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pete.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	3012 Finding someone to hunt how you want to, where you want to and when you want to is tough. I have found that Pete is always ready to go. Is this still considered solo hunting?
    Yes it is !!!!!!!, as long as you do all the talking

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    Im very social so it does get lonely. I usually end up talking to myself or the trees.
    Typical woman, always has to be talking.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't know about everyone else, but I think one of the biggest downsides to hunting and also fishing by yourself is that it just isn't as fun when you have a great experience and don't have anyone else to share it with. I've had days where I've gone fishing with my brother-in-laws for an entire day, never had one bite and yet we all had a blast. Then I've had other days when I've caught a bunch of fish or had an awesome hunt by myself, but it just wasn't quite as fun. So for me, that is a big negative for going by yourself....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    I don't know about everyone else, but I think one of the biggest downsides to hunting and also fishing by yourself is that it just isn't as fun when you have a great experience and don't have anyone else to share it with. I've had days where I've gone fishing with my brother-in-laws for an entire day, never had one bite and yet we all had a blast. Then I've had other days when I've caught a bunch of fish or had an awesome hunt by myself, but it just wasn't quite as fun. So for me, that is a big negative for going by yourself....
    Yeah, the celebration is definitely better with a partner, but the satisfaction of doing it on your own is pretty great in a different way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Yeah, the celebration is definitely better with a partner, but the satisfaction of doing it on your own is pretty great in a different way.
    I agree that it's easier to dish out high 5's if there's another pair of hands around . But my own personal experience is that after months of planning, preporation, getting to the hunting grounds and grinding it out day after day alone. Once it all comes together and I get my animal on the ground that's when the emotional tidal wave arrives. Sometimes it takes me a couple of hours before i can start breaking down the animal. After I pull myself together the work starts, once I get the last load to the tailgate the second emotional wave hits, so I just sit there and reflect.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packer58 View Post
    I agree that it's easier to dish out high 5's if there's another pair of hands around . But my own personal experience is that after months of planning, preporation, getting to the hunting grounds and grinding it out day after day alone. Once it all comes together and I get my animal on the ground that's when the emotional tidal wave arrives. Sometimes it takes me a couple of hours before i can start breaking down the animal. After I pull myself together the work starts, once I get the last load to the tailgate the second emotional wave hits, so I just sit there and reflect.
    I hope this is how I feel at the end of my hunt this year. I have had plenty of trips with freinds where I had wished I was alone.
    OO-DE-LOLLY