Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

How does one become a solo hunter?

Something I've been wondering. How does one become a solo hunter? I've always hunted with friends or family. This last year my main hunting partner moved away and I attempted to do some solo hunting. It was not very fun for me. Anyone can ask the people who know me and they will tell you, I love hunting and I can't stand to be by myself. Just wondering if anyone here has any ideas how to become a better solo hunter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It takes some getting used to, and it isn't for everybody. I started going solo out of necessity, but grew to like it. I always feel safer with a partner, though.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I agree with bitterroot. It very tough to be a solo hunter. I have done it a few times and I prefer to be with one or two other buddy's. With that said I also don't like to hunt with multiple people which is why I started to solo. There is a ton of work when your solo and you must enjoy the solitude of the mountains and know there is some real danger involved. It's not for everyone and I don't care to do it on my own unless I have to and will if that's what I have to do. I have two guys I hunt with very often. We all have the same hunting techniques and mind set. It works for us.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I moved to Montana almost two years ago now, primarily to hunt, I didnt know anybody here and my backcountry experience was limited, but I was determined . I started out with just overnight trips and worked my way up, a guy doesnt realize how long a day is until he's on the side of a mountain 5 miles in with nobody but him self, thats lonely. But at the same time I loved it. Most my trips are still short ones just because of work commitments but anyway it just takes practice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Like you ssliger, I've had more than a few hunting partners move away and out of the state. That can be a very sad time when reflecting on past adventures with friends and family.

Hunting the backcountry alone is not for everybody. Traveling solo takes a bit getting used to. The solitude of a week or more in the backcountry is perhaps one of the biggest tests of solo hunting.

For me, I had to get used to pushing myself out of some of my comfort zones. I think the hardest comfort zone to push for me other that solitude mentioned was next getting miles off a well traveled trail alone. To get better at solo hunting and traveling in the backcountry alone and feeling more comfortable with it, I think one needs to just do it and do it more often.

A good way to start is just starting with short trips to try out new gear upgrades, go on fishing trips, scouting trips, or short weekend trips. Just find an excuse to get out on your own in the backcountry. It does get better or more comfortable in time.

Be safe, but more importantly enjoy the journey. What truly motivates me…I am IN LOVE WITH THE JOURNEY.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do you want to solo the back country or just solo hunt in general? If its my tag im trying to fill I almost always try to go alone and prefer it that way. I love to help people out on there tags but when it comes time for mine I prefer to go alone. When it comes to the back country, well refer to my recent thread "first solo backpacking trip" I think the best way for that is like stated by Kevin, work into it, do it more often and PUSH yourself out of your comfort zones. I didn't put it in my other thread but, I almost didnt stay the night and kept debating back in forth on whether or not to stay. Finally I bucked up and forced my self to set up camp right before dark knowing I would have to cross that bridge one time or another and sooner was better than later. Might sound weak but thats really how it went and its quite a bit different when your up there alone. Glad I did now I have little fear of doing a one nighter and my next trip will be a 2 nighter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All of the above are all good takes on becoming a solo hunter. For myself, there's nothing that equals the solitude of being alone in the hills relying on nobody other than myself and the skills that I have perfected. Solo hunters take a lot of pride in what they accomplish alone, from the planning of the hunt, the long quiet drives, setting up camp, hunting and hopefully packing out game. As mentioned, the solitude is not for everyone. You must learn to have confidence in your ability.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The first few times I went in solo, I was a lot like Jon Boy. Didn't want to stay the night by myself, it was a little different. I still get lonely after only a couple of days. But I think I hunt a lot better solo, just for the fact that there is no one else to hang around camp and BS with, so I am out hunting more. I still prefer to hunt with a partner, mainly for safety reasons, but sometimes my partners can't go, and I am not going to stay home, so I hunt solo.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I started out hunting solo when I was a kid, my Dad was a once a year deer hunter but that just wasn't enough for me. Over the years I just kept at it. I moved around a lot when I was in the Navy so really didn't have much choice a lot of times. I still prefer to go it alone most of the time, that way I know who to blame when something goes wrong and who to congratulate when everything comes together. I do hunt with my best friend quite a bit and have for over 30 years but it's certainly not a requirement. I never saw hunting as a social event, I hunt to kill stuff and I don't want to bet my tag on a group decision. I'm not anti-social or anything and I like to sit around the campfire and shoot the breeze as well as the next guy but when push comes to shove I'll usually go alone.

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    My way of solo hunting is a little differant, I do alot of hunting alone. I accually rather have it thay way most of the time. But I'm not real big on staying in the backcountry overnight so I just hike in and out every day. Its alot of hiking in the dark, but I would rater do that and have a comfortable camp an a good nights sleep. I may not get as far back in as alot of guys here, but where I hunt in Oregon its hard to get more than 10 miles from a road or trailhead. I agree that when your solo you tend to stay in the woods longer, and when it all comes together its more rewarding. The hardest part for me is planning on how to get the animal out without help, so I pack alot of gear that I don't always get to use.