Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    The hardest part for me is planning on how to get the animal out without help
    Oh yeah, easily the loneliest part of the hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Oh yeah, easily the loneliest part of the hunt.
    I actually enjoy a torturous pack out. It is what makes western hunting truly a unique experience. It makes the kill of the animal just the beginning of the adventure. Call me crazy but some of my best memories are when I am packing meat and hides off the mountain.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Kevin, you sound like you are still young. I'll check back with you in about 10 years!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Like most... my closest huntin buddys were lucky enough to move out of state. I still have a few here but they don't have the bug like I do, so I started going by myself and really started liking it. I perfer going solo and even if the other guys go we all split up and regroup at night, at the base camp. After getting use to going solo it's not bad at all IMO. I actually think I hunt harder alone.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Root View Post
    Call me crazy
    Your crazy

This reminds me, I need to start a new thread on packing out an elk by yourself. I have yet to figure out what im going to do when I bring one of those beasts down by myself besides trying to bribe a rancher with some manual labor lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    Kevin, you sound like you are still young. I'll check back with you in about 10 years!
    That made me smile BKC. I'm sure my ability to get out and do this type of thing will dwindle with some more years. I've read this quote, "Hunt when you can, you're gonna run outta health before you run outta money!" There is a lot of truth to that statement. I've been backpacking since I was 15 years old and love it.

I'm not looking forward to the day when my health will run out. I'm 51, average build but still enjoyed my Mule deer buck pack out last year solo up and down the mountains. It's very hard work and I know it sounds crazy but I still find it very, very rewarding. It is one of the highlights in the adventure that I look forward to.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I started archery hunting for a bit more of a challenge I thought the craze would catch on with my buddies but to no avail. Therefore I went alone and have done so for a couple years I feel as much as physical training is a must so is mental training if your like me a week off of work is quite hard to come by so when I get the chance to go out I like to make the best of it. But the days become really really long when your solo. Which makes convincing yourself to turn back that much easier. One thing I might add which makes the evenings a bit easier is a nice night cap I prefer a shot or two of jack and it seems to wash awaY the what ifs and whatever noises the mountains make that you may not be used too in your own bed. Haven't packed out an animal yet but I'm over the hardest part... Staying out there and hunting hard.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Boy View Post
    Your crazy

This reminds me, I need to start a new thread on packing out an elk by yourself. I have yet to figure out what im going to do when I bring one of those beasts down by myself besides trying to bribe a rancher with some manual labor lol
    That is a great idea, actually. Setting up a deal with somebody that has stock can save your apple.

While I enjoy working for what I get, too, I just can't agree with Kevin. the best part of the packout is setting my pack down on the tailgate.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Boy View Post
    Your crazy

For an elk or bigger, that does sound like a good option or get in touch with a horse/mule packer ahead of time and have or rent a satellite phone. When you get your animal you can arrange the pack out help for those bigger animals, depending how far back you get the animal. The Sat phones rentals are pretty reasonable as an option these days.

http://www.mobal.com/satellite-phone-rental/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    While I enjoy working for what I get, too, I just can't agree with Kevin. the best part of the packout is setting my pack down on the tailgate.
    Can't argue with that Bitterroot Bulls. That is a good feeling .