Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For me the greatest feeling has been sending out the first text message with photos attached. "I did it"

Then the response is, "by yourself?"

And with a tear filled smile I replied, "Yessir..."

One thing that has helped me is taking a hunting magazine with good bucks in it and then sticking a pic of my family to the wall of my tent. Then when you begin to bargain and negotiate with yourself, you can look at that pic of your fam and the magazine. This helps me to set my priorities straight and realize l have one goal and only one way to accomplish it... Man up, stay on the mountain and get the job done. Thats just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by RobinHood; 04-01-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
    For me the greatest feeling has been sending out the first text message with photos attached. "I did it"

Then the response is, "by yourself?"

And with a tear filled smile I replied, "Yessir..."

One thing that has helped me is taking a hunting magazine with good bucks in it and then sticking a pic of my family to the wall of my tent. Then when you begin to bargain and negotiate with yourself, you can look at that pic of your fam and the magazine. This helps me to set my priorities straight and realize l have one goal and only one way to accomplish it... Man up, stay on the mountain and get the job done. Thats just my 2 cents.
    Great advice
    OO-DE-LOLLY

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have done solo from base camps and remote sites. Knowing your limits , planning and being very goal oriented has made my hunts fun. I give myself 2-3 lbs for ipod, and reward snacks for meeting my goals. Try going solo before season to test your mental and physical Abilities. Also test your equipment. Pack out 50 pounds of rocks and head back to your camp and can You do that 3-4 more times in 24 hours. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here in California you are allowed to hunt deer/ pigs/ bear with dogs. My duck duck dog goes along with me and she's always great company and completely useless (my preference) as a deer/pig/ bear dog.
    They make great companions on a solo hunt.Fortunately for me, but not the dog, I've drawn late season deer and elk tag for Nevada. I am trying to figure out how to bring the dog, chase a few chukar and back pack into the back country without having to lug a dog crate.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger L View Post
    Here in California you are allowed to hunt deer/ pigs/ bear with dogs.
    I think you better check the hunting regs..... I'm 99% sure you CAN'T hunt/pursue deer with dogs in Califorina. I'll look it up later, don't have time now.
    Last edited by Muleys 24/7; 06-29-2012 at 06:46 AM.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    I think you better check the hunting regs..... I'm 99% sure you CAN'T hunt/pursue deer with dogs in Califorina. I'll look it up later, don't have time now.
    That would be a big 10-4!

I think what he meant to say was that it would not be illegal to have a dog with him while he is hunting, at least I hope that is what he meant.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Where in the regs does it say that a dog cannot be used for deer hunting? The only restrictions that I know of are; no dogs allowed during archery season of deer and bear, and only ONE dog may be used to pursue mammals during the general deer season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Heck; I thought you just wanted to rid yourself of the guy's you had been hunting with. I was gonna say....just piss them off real good and your on your own.
    But in answer to your question, like others, I've gone both ways and although I enjoy the company with a fellow hunter, I find I kind of enjoy the one on one with myself quite a bit. But it can get lonely once in awhile. Ya just have to keep at it and enjoy your own company.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's nice to have a good partner with you hunting. Some times your good partner can't go and I would rather hunt alone then with a poor partner. Over the years I often hunt alone. It's my game plan and I choose how I hunt. I don't pack intothe wilderness for days but I can drive to WY from WI and hunt on my own. I stay in motels and just hunt somewhere for a day. There are people around to talk to if I want to. A deer or antelope or turkey or game birds are not that bad to pack out.
    I often find it relaxing to sit in the woods and squirrel hunt by myself some morning or afternoon. That's how I got started hunting by myself.
    Some times a hunting partner isn't ready for a big hunt and they can decrease your enjoyment if they want to go home early because they miss their family or they are just tired of hunting.
    A good bunch of people to hunt with have the same dedication to hunt as you do. If I can't find a dedicated hunter to go with. I go solo.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by goindeep View Post
    Where in the regs does it say that a dog cannot be used for deer hunting? The only restrictions that I know of are; no dogs allowed during archery season of deer and bear, and only ONE dog may be used to pursue mammals during the general deer season.
    I think your right...... I thought I read it somewhere before that it was prohibited. I'd never go that route. Well I'm sure it'll be illegal soon.....come on, it's califorina. haha
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club