Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnalder View Post
    I'm with RUTTIN on this. If you are confident with shot placement, aren't shaky, and its under 20 yards its an excellent shot. If you hit low the arrow hits the brisket and glances to the ground. I had a friend that happened to. High he likely dies because all the vitals. If you are to far left or right it hits the shoulder and the elk likely lives. With a broadside shot to far forward arrow hits shoulder, too far back and recovery is risky. High means tough recovery. Its all about shot placement and confidence. I would take an under 20 yard head on vs a 40+ broadside. The hunting shows show excellent archers taking those shots but the average person shouldn't. If you can put your arrows in the kill zone at 40 yards you definitely should be able to hit the kill zone of a straight on animal at under 20. All about shot placement and confidence. I did have a 25yd broadside shot on a 6x6. I hit high but did get both lungs. Blood trail was good at first but eventually disappeared. The bull lived for 16 hrs and we only found him because we knew the area so well. I took a quartering to shot at 25yds this year and by far a riskier shot than one straight on. Small kill zone but was able to squeek the arrow in for my first 330 class bull. Guess I'm saying its all about placement and confidence. If your willing to take 40+ broadside shots than head on under 20 should be no problem.
    Very well put. A frontal shot at close distance can be extremely deadly, it's not for everyone but if you have the confidence and the right equipment I will take that shot any day. The area on an elk is actually a lot larger than most people think, probably 6"x8".

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTTIN View Post
    I will probably take a lot of crap for this but, I have shot two bulls with a frontal shot, but I have certain conditions before I will take this shot. The animal has to be within 20yds, I have to be steady with my aim, if I am shaking the least little bit I will not shoot. I have change my equipment up so that if the shot presents itself my arrow can penetrate the sweet spot. I shoot a heavy poundage, heavy arrow, and cut on contact broadhead. If the animal is slightly quartering to me I put the arrow in front of the leg and between the brisket, head on goes right in the middle where the dark hair starts. One bull I shot was uphill from me, when my arrow penetrated all that was sticking out was the fletching, my Magnus Stinger had blown through one vertebrae and was stuck in another behind it, dropping him in his tracks. A bull my friend shot at was downhill head on, he shot him just below the juglar so the arrow would find the heart lung area, his arrow went down the windpipe through all the goodies and was stuck in his guts when we opened him up, bull went about 60 yds with one of the best blood trails I have ever followed. I think alot comes down to whether your equipment can handle a front on shot. But like I said before everything has to be perfect, no if ands or buts.
    +1 from me!
    >>>----------------->
    Strother Inspire
    Gold Tip Kenetics 300
    Ripcord Code Red
    Tight Spot Quiver
    Black Gold Ascent
    Landshark by Simmons Sharks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can see myself taking the shot if ALL conditions are perfect. I have the confidence to hit the kill zone within 20 yds. On all of the animals I have taken, or passed...the moment before I release I ask myself if I am honestly confident that I can make the shot. In this particular instance I had been drawn way too long, and couldn't control my shakes. It was an easy decision for me to pass at that particular time. But, since then I keep replaying it over and I was curious what other experienced archers have done in similar instances. It's been all good info, I appreciate it, and I agree that it depends on what you are comfortable with...based on your skill level (how much you practice and how well you shoot) and the particular situation. I think it comes down to really being honest with yourself, if you are confident you've got the shot...let it fly. If not, let him walk and enjoy the opportunity.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would not take the shot my best friend shot at a huge 4x4 blacktail in the chest at 32 yards we waited 1 hour and tracked it 2 days and never found it very sad to lose such a great buck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just watched a show called Beau knows outdoors where he stuck a nice bull in the low chest, which basically dropped in his tracks! I was very surprised as it looked to be 30 or 40 yards. Oh well, you learn something every day!
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I just watched a show called Beau knows outdoors where he stuck a nice bull in the low chest, which basically dropped in his tracks! I was very surprised as it looked to be 30 or 40 yards. Oh well, you learn something every day!
    That is Beau Turner. He probably just paid the bull to fall over.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    That is Beau Turner. He probably just paid the bull to fall over.
    Ha Ha.............That's funny BB
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've had plenty of these shots present themselves but I usually pass. I'm a pretty good shot but all it takes is a little to much either way and it's a wounded animal. Called a bull within 15yds for a friend who is darn good shot and he didn't get the sweet spot. Is it a good shot to take only you can answer that one IMO!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTTIN View Post
    Ha Ha.............That's funny BB
    I had never heard of the guy nor seen his show, but he sure acts the part you just described!
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Congratulations
    KE plays a big part in my choice.
    >>>----------------->
    Strother Inspire
    Gold Tip Kenetics 300
    Ripcord Code Red
    Tight Spot Quiver
    Black Gold Ascent