Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I drew an elk tag in 07 and got a 350 7/8" P&Y. What is the waiting period there? 5 or 10 years? Will be trying to cash my other points this year. Got 13 now so my sheep odds are up to .0002%.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nevada has probably the greatest tag system. Love their tag fees, most are a 10x multiple, ie a resident has to pay $120, a non-res $1200.

$60 resident antelope, $300 non-res. (5x multiple)

states take notice and mimic!

I think they understand residents are willing to pay a fair price for a once in a lifetime tag while not soaking non-res with the bill. ie a res can pay $120 for a goat/sheep, while a non-res pays $1200, neither are un-reasonable at all! vs. other states charging IMO any resident less than $100 for a once in a lifetime sheep/goat tag is absurd.

Prime example of why all states need to goto a 5x-10x multiple ratio, and simply squaring bonus points is the best for all, gives the guy with 1 pts a chance, while giving the guy with 20pts....400 pits/chances! and more than likely the tag will goto higher points holders.

Quality game, great system, fairest fees, what's not to love? I say let's keep it our lil secret....ssssshhhhhh haha.

and not all states are the same, so some variation is needed of course, ie if you have 500k elk vs. 20k elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good luck everyone! I'm friggin jacked! Application season is almost as fun as finding out if you drew, finding out if you drew is almost as fun as hunting!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I think it's gonna be a good horn growth year. Very mild winter and now we are finally getting some good precipitation, good be THE year to get a NV tag. Should be some awesome groceries out there for the critters to much on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't think we will have much winterkill! Worried about moisture though.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    I don't think we will have much winterkill! Worried about moisture though.
    If these storms keep up it should be ok. Remember all the Resivors are already at capacity and the few springs I've seen lately are full to. I guess it depends on how hot the summer will be but it only hit 100 one day last year

Thanks
    Congratulations
    NV seems to do a good job of managing their game and they are producing some great animals as a result. I dont mind waiting in a long line for the chance at a great hunt. 1200 is alot for an elk tag in some ways but really its not bad at all for the trophy potential they havein NV.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    NV seems to do a good job of managing their game and they are producing some great animals as a result. I dont mind waiting in a long line for the chance at a great hunt. 1200 is alot for an elk tag in some ways but really its not bad at all for the trophy potential they havein NV.
    IMO they are managing for elk numbers and letting mule deer numbers hurt. What they tried to do last year is a good example. That is my opinion. Elk hunting is great though can wait to draw that tag!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    IMO they are managing for elk numbers and letting mule deer numbers hurt. What they tried to do last year is a good example. That is my opinion. Elk hunting is great though can wait to draw that tag!
    I was mostly referring to the elk. But I have seen some nice deer and antelope from NV as well! Just seems like they manage more for quality then quanity then alot of states do from what I have read but I have never hunted there yet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Imo its not the states job to manage for quality as much as it is the hunters responsibility. If the state focuses on quantity its the sportsmans job to focus on quality. Forkys don't get to be smart brutes if there taken by a part time road hunter Just their to fill a tag. I personally feel nv has been a bit rough on the deer herds the past several years by upping the numbers but I'm hoping their new tags (silver state) and raffle tags they have implemented make up for the reason behind the tag number jump.