Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_west.htm

every time I check it's a drought... perhaps moisture will change things, mild winter+moisture would be awesome, but if drought continues, would be a bad year I think.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_west.htm

every time I check it's a drought... perhaps moisture will change things, mild winter+moisture would be awesome, but if drought continues, would be a bad year I think.
    We were officially out if the drought last year. But I agree if we don't get good snow pack it won't take long to be rite back in one again

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    Imo its not the states job to manage for quality as much as it is the hunters responsibility. If the state focuses on quantity its the sportsmans job to focus on quality. Forkys don't get to be smart brutes if there taken by a part time road hunter Just their to fill a tag. I personally feel nv has been a bit rough on the deer herds the past several years by upping the numbers but I'm hoping their new tags (silver state) and raffle tags they have implemented make up for the reason behind the tag number jump.
    Not saying i disagree with you but there are tomany hunters that just want to shoot the first legal deer they see. I wish more states would put in more 3 and 4 point minimums in more areas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I guess I don't see a problem with a hunter wanting to fill his/her tag with a freezer filler. Everyone has a different approach to their hunting objectives just the same as we may hunt differently. It's their tag, who am I to say how they are to fill it.
    Vegetarian = old Indian word for Bad hunter

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Not saying i disagree with you but there are tomany hunters that just want to shoot the first legal deer they see. I wish more states would put in more 3 and 4 point minimums in more areas.
    I would love to see that happen it wouldn't have to happen state wide but every state could have their own "strip" if this were implemented. Just a couple of units managed by state and sportsman alike with an age goal in mind for harvest.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    it would be interesting to see a checker board of management with say white squares being trophy squares and black squares being for quantity.

I recently read that 4 units in CO for elk are managed for trophy elk, no surprise those are the toughest to draw!

as to point restrictions, I'd rather see a guy shoot a spike bull than a 3x3 or 4x4, a 3 or 4yo bull is much closer to being a big bull than a 1yo is.

Also when a guy can't shoot a management bull, ie an older bull with only a 3x3 or 4x4 frame then you're encouraging inferior genetics.

oh well this mystery will probably never be solved/fixed in my lifetime, so all a trophy hunter can do is hunt quality areas/units, wait for tags and hunt hard when they have that chance, or pass inferior bulls in their opinion.

I hate the term "if i don't shoot it my neighbor will, or someone else will" well if you shoot a small bull then certainly it won't make it til next year. and why would any hunter let another hunter influence their decision whether or not a bull is big enough.

If I want a 6x6, and I see a 5x5 I know another hunter would gladly shoot, that doesn't make me want to shoot a 5x5 any more. I'd rather pass on that 5x5 and let anther hunter who would love a 5x5 take him, than to take a 5x5 because someone else would and be disappointed it was a 5x5 and not a 6x6.

Never settle.