Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska Outlander View Post
    Let us know how the thors shoot out of your gun been thinking of getting these also but have read mixed results. I want to shoot farther ranges than most but that is just me. I have read they do okay for accuracy just not sure if I want to make the switch. I switched to the Barnes myself from reading other post and now I have a box of Barnes I won't be using a 3" group isn't good enough for me. I currently am shooting 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 and 300 Hornady SST's shooting 1 3/8" group at 100 yards. If I could get that with the thors or Hornady FPB which are similar to the thors I might switch to them, bigger holes!!!

Well let us know how they do always great to hear how others shoot!!!

Nebraska Outlander
    Not exactly. The Thor is all copper. FPB is jacketed lead.

Thors shot 2" groups @200yds for me from a CVA. You need to have a good fit with BH 209. It takes some compression for BH to be accurate. That's been my experience anyway.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    If my gun would take the hornady FPB, I would shoot them. I shoot 338 grain powerbelts for elk and 295 grain for deer. They are accurate and easy loading. If you take the gas ring off of them the bullet just slips right down the barrel. I always wonder if the rifle got bumped just right with the barrel down, would the bullet slip off the gas ring, would it fall out of the gun? You wouldnt think that the bullet engages the rifiling when fired but when I dig one out of the dirt behing the target, you can see the rifiling on the expanded bullet. I can never find enough of the bullet when I dig it out of the animal. That is the one thing I don't like about the powerbelt, they come apart too fast and fragment. It depends what organs the fragments hit, whether or not the animal goes down right away. They dont like bone! I have taken the hornady FPB and pushed it through the barrel several times and " prestart" them so they are easier to load without the assist of a short starter. It helps a bit but they still push hard and it is tough to get the same seating pressure on each load. I shoot t/c triumph, it must have a smaller barrel than most. Some T/C's like them and some dont.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    Sounds like Thor is onto something with slightly different sizes to compensate for the variations in muzzle loaders. Maybe Im just lucky mine likes the FPB's? I shot knight red hots before that but had to switch for colorado last year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got my Thor samples today.....4 different diameters. When I get the right fit and order some, I'll find out how they shoot.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Push them a bit. 110 gr of BH209 usually works good.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I usually use APP. Been using 100 grs of it, also use some Goex... real BP.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Oops! I had to go back to the first post to see what you were shooting. I forgot. Not a fan of APP. I find it very inconsistent. BP is fine, but I usually save it for sidelocks.

Have you tried Pyrodex? Cleaner than BP, and a little more power. Fires off easily with a 209 primer. BH 209 is the best BP sub right now, but it has ignition problems in some guns. I'm not sure how it would work in your gun. There's also Triple 7, but it has it's problems too with a crud ring. If I had your gun, i'd shoot Pyrodex RS (2F), or Pyrodex P (3F) for a hotter load.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BH209 is sooo much better than anything else on the market right now. All it takes is one shooting session and you will be buying in the largest quantity you can get your hands on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    What is better about BH209? I started with pyrodex but switched to 777 because it burned cleaner and I been happy with it so I havent looked any farther.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BH burns clean. very clean. I go about 10-15 shots before even a dry patch. Best of all it is very easy to clean. No more soap, water, windex, or whatever you used to use. Just some good ole Hoppes. Oh and it is very consistant with shot performance. Higher chrony readings. Tighter groups. And it looks cool too! each grain is a little cylinder.