Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

300 Remington Ultra Mag

I won a Christensen Arms Extreme II in 300 RUM last weekend. What are your thoughts on that caliber for Deer and Elk. I currently hunt with a Kimber in 300WSM.

I am also debating what scope to pair it up with. I have Leupolds on my current guns but have been thinking about a Swarovski. Others have suggested a Huskemaw or Nightforce. Experiences or thoughts on these?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Chief,
    Sounds like you've got a beaut there man. I shot the 300 RUM extensively for several years and must say that if I could only own one rifle that might be it! It may be a bit much for deer and goats but hey, dead is dead! I found that caliber with 180 Triple Shocks absolutely wicked on absolutely everything; two one shot DRT kills on bull elk, every deer that got hit went down as if struck by lightning, one black bear that never even rolled over after he bit the dirt... the list could go on. The point is this, that is a popular round for very good reason, it kills stuff very dead! (When you put the pill in the sweet spot!)

As for glass? Well, I'm a hardcore Leupold man when it comes to rifle scopes. I like other brands for spotters and binos but don't think their rifle scopes can be beaten. My 300 wore a 4.5-14x40 VXIII straight tube no adjustable objective with a varmint hunters reticle. I prefer the ballistic type reticle for speed and ease of use in hunting situations over dial systems. I am not knocking anything made by Huskemaw or Nightforce or Swaro, I have simply found that with this reticle system any critter I didn't have much time on inside of 500 yds. ended up on my back and in my freezer. Again, I'm not saying 500 yard shots are or should be the norm without practice and lots of time getting to know your equipment but once you have laid the ground work they are very possible. I still like animals to be within 100 yds. thus the stalk! However, this is not always feasible and my .300 rig produced results and filled my freezer when I needed it to.

I hope this helped some. Enjoy the new toy you luck dog!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grizz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A local long range shooter with an endless supply of money is now using Night Force and claims it is the best suited for him. He has had all the others. This year he killed an elk at 970 yds and a whitetail at 870 yds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a 300 RUM (lovingly referred to as the Elkinator). It is a fine cartridge. Just remember it is a sports car. It guzzles gas (like 1 lb. powder per fifty rounds!), and burns out tires (throats).

I still love it for the raw horsepower.

For glass, Leupold, Swarovski, and Nightforce all make fine scopes. I currently own some Leupolds, a Swarovski, and several Vortex riflescopes. I have really come to like Vortex lately, but the scope with the best image is my Swaro Z3. I had my 4-12X50 on my 300 RUM, and it was a great combo. I know the Christensons run the same scope on theirs.

I have used many Nightforce scopes, and found them to be spot on accurate in their adjustments. They are also super-durable. They are optically pretty good, but I think someof the competition at their price point is better.

If you wouldn't mind the weight of the Nightforce, you should really look at the SWFA SS 5-20X50 HD. It has just as good of adjustment reliablility, more elevation adjustment, better glass, a FFP reticle, and costs a little less.

Another great premium scope is Premier Heritage.

For a lighter weight scope with top-o-the-line glass it is hard to beat Swaro or Zeiss.

Sightron's S3 series is a tremendous value with great adjustment accuracy.

Lots of good options.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    My son shoots a .300 RUM and we load together and spend a lot of time at the range. I am not convinced it is much better than my .300 Wby. Burns about 10 more grains of powder per load and only a little over 100 fps faster than my Wby. Just my take. I'm sticking with my Wby.

(That ought to get you all started on my case!!!)
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info. I was at the gun shop to do the paperwork today (Good Old "Kalifornia" has a 10 day wait after running you through the system) they had a Swaro Z-3 4-12X50 on the shelf that I could look at. I was surprised how light it was and looked like it would be a good match for the gun. I will explore more options/prices before I pick the gun up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    My son shoots a .300 RUM and we load together and spend a lot of time at the range. I am not convinced it is much better than my .300 Wby. Burns about 10 more grains of powder per load and only a little over 100 fps faster than my Wby. Just my take. I'm sticking with my Wby.

(That ought to get you all started on my case!!!)
    The 300 Wby is a fine cartridge, CC!

The 300 Rum is a very nice cartridge, itself. Potato, PoTAHto. Either way the critters are in for trouble.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thats why we drive Fords, Chevys & Dodges (oops Rams). In the right hands they all get the job done.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley