Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 9 Posts

Camofire- Excellent Optics Headsup for TODAY

Got an email last night, it said today sometime they will be selling the Zeiss Conquest 10x40 ABK. I had a pair of these a few years ago, they were simple, super light, and had an AWESOME picture. They usually sell for between 900-1000, Camofire will have them for 40% off!

Just a heads up for anyone looking to score on a nice set of new bins.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Dude, I went to camofire the other day for the first time. I felt deprived!!! That site is awesome! And good man for the heads up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Me too DRHP, I was actually pm'ing BB earlier because theres a Nikon Prostaff 16-48x65 spotting scope for $280...does anyone have any experience with these scopes? Them Zeiss binocs sound tempting too...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My email said only 30% off 40 would be amazing!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Camofire rocks!

40% off would be a good deal on a good binocular. The deal on the Prostaff sounds pretty good too.

One thing about the 10X40 Conquest. While they are really good, they do show quite a bit of CA in the ones I have seen (I like the 8X40 better myself). I actually prefer the view in the Zen Ray ED3. Just something to keep in mind.

The Conquest isn't much of a risk though, as they will hold their value really well, and you could probably eBay them for more than the Camofire price if you don't like them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    My email said only 30% off 40 would be amazing!!!
    Your right... it is 30%. Thing woke me up in the middle of the night on my phone so I must have been a little blurry-eyed when I looked at it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Camofire rocks!

One thing about the 10X40 Conquest. While they are really good, they do show quite a bit of CA in the ones I have seen (I like the 8X40 better myself). I actually prefer the view in the Zen Ray ED3. Just something to keep in mind.
    Interesting, I much am the opposite. I saw a lot better edge-to-edge crispness in the Zeiss compared to the ED3. Center mass was nearly identical.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSurArcher View Post
    Interesting, I much am the opposite. I saw a lot better edge-to-edge crispness in the Zeiss compared to the ED3. Center mass was nearly identical.
    Oh no, we are on the same page, BSA.

The Zen does have some edge softness. The Zeiss is better in that area. It is not disturbing to me, though, due to the super wide field of the Zen. The Zeiss is sharp enough. It is the Chromatic Aberration in the form of color fringing in the Zeiss that I was referencing. Did you not notice it in your Conquest? It was readily apparent in the one I saw. The Zen is just about CA-free. that is why I prefer it (also the wider FOV- I love the picture-window feel of a wide-field bin)

I also agree the centerfield view is pretty similar.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I noticed it now and again, seemed to be lighting dependent. Definitely was never enough to bother me. That said, I'm sure my eyes and mind aren't nearly as cognizant to the things that you look for throughout the optical image. I find myself playing checkers when I should be playing chess, in that I'm impressed by "clear and bright" whereas a seasoned as eye as yours knows how to go above and beyond. One thing I've noticed with a number of Zeiss products I've looked through is that they seem to have a "cool" hue to them. I really prefer the "warmer" image I get through my 'ovski's.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSurArcher View Post
    I noticed it now and again, seemed to be lighting dependent. Definitely was never enough to bother me. That said, I'm sure my eyes and mind aren't nearly as cognizant to the things that you look for throughout the optical image. I find myself playing checkers when I should be playing chess, in that I'm impressed by "clear and bright" whereas a seasoned as eye as yours knows how to go above and beyond. One thing I've noticed with a number of Zeiss products I've looked through is that they seem to have a "cool" hue to them. I really prefer the "warmer" image I get through my 'ovski's.
    Don't sell yourself short, BSA. It takes a pretty good eye to notice color bias like that. I have also noted Zeiss bins like blues, but their older Diascopes sure liked yellows. It is also astute to notice that CA is more prevalent in some light, as it shows up more in high-contrast situations.

You and I both have 10X42 SLC neus. They sure are a lot more neutral than the yellow view out of the older SLCs.

Edge sharpness is kind of a funny thing to me in bins. It is just about the first thing people talk about. It makes me wonder how many people are staring at the edge of the field all the time. I just kind of naturally move what I am looking at to the center, so edge sharpness ends up way down my list of wants. People must really want it, though, because they sure are selling a lot of Swarovisions!

Don't teach yourself to look for CA. That was one of dumbest things I've done. Now I can't stop myself.