Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The 264 is coming into it's own with modern powders of the past 5 years and longer barrels.

Any 270 suffers from lack of quality long range bullets. I might have agreed with you in 1960.

As for Jack using the 270, yep he did. And Elmer used various .333, .338, .358, .375, and .411 wildcats. I tend to be an Elmer fan more than a Jack fan.

Jack was also a snob, Elmer was a real person much like the modern day writer Wayne Van Zwoll (Doctor of Wildlife Policy), and by my estimate our best gunwriter.

I am not quite 40, and I wasn't alive for much of either writers career. Jack to me hunted some very interesting species in places like Iran that I may never have the financial wherewithal to do. Elmer was a real cowboy who did 99% of it himself.

I know a couple of men who knew both of them, both of them have hunted more places than either Elmer or Jack, and have fairly ilustrious hunting careers in their own right. Neither one of them thought anyone liked Jack, as much as Jack liked Jack. Everyone I have known that met Elmer Keith liked him immensely. Even when he was at the end of his elk track, and within a few months of death the people that I knew that stopped into his house in Salmn, Idaho to say hello were warmly greeted.

I think Jack saw himself as a writer, who happened to write about the outdoors. In Jack's eyes, he should have been as big of a writer as Ruark or Hemmingway.

Elmer was a gun nut, who liked to write about guns.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    John Boy,

You could buy a 2nd hand 270 ADL synthetic for about $300, put one of Bell and Carlson's M700 mountain rifle stock on it for $500 and have a light weight 270.

Check your Walmart, they often have super cheap deals on M700s, we buy a lot of guns there just for the action.

Glass bedding compound kits can be had for $20-50, and you could youtube the way to do it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    John Boy,

You could buy a 2nd hand 270 ADL synthetic for about $300, put one of Bell and Carlson's M700 mountain rifle stock on it for $500 and have a light weight 270.

Check your Walmart, they often have super cheap deals on M700s, we buy a lot of guns there just for the action.

Glass bedding compound kits can be had for $20-50, and you could youtube the way to do it.
    Jon Boy,

This is pretty good advice for your situation. The B&C stock can be had for $250 shipped. For 500-600 bucks you are looking at a good package to meet your needs, and meet them better than the Sendero. I would just add that bedding kits are often not all they are cracked up to be. I would invest in Devcon Steel Putty for a compound. Kiwi Neutral Shoe Polish for a release agent, and non-drying modeling clay.

Here are the stocks:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...dermess/Detail

The best Youtube guide to bedding a rifle I have found is the series starting with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyPQF-64-sA
    Last edited by Bitterroot Bulls; 04-13-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No need to buy a new 270 I already have one. Already bought a boyds laminate blank that my dad and I are going to lighten up like the savage "light weight hunter" and do some other wood working with it. Read up on glass bedding and went with the devcon like you suggested, seems like its the best out there and wont break down over time, all though it was expensive and I have no idea what im going to do with the 1 pound can of it. The savage actions seem a bit different to bed but I think I have it figured out. Will probably have the bolt and barrel fluted and then cerakoted. Ill top it with a leupold ultra light down the road. None of that really adds up to an extremely "light weight" gun, but it definitely adds to the "cool" factor, and I like to tinker with shit. Its going to be a long term project that I look forward too.
    Oh yah and I just started a new job so hopefully ill be buying the sendero shortly too

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There we go! The one who dies with the most guns wins.