Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wac'em broadheads

So I picked up some Wacem trikon broadheads last night. When I assembled and mounted it to my arrow my first impression was like these seem cute. As in small and cute. So I decided to break out the caliper. The package says 1 1/32" cutting diameter. 1/32" says to me that they are just barely over the 1" required by CO hunting regulations. I dont know how they squeaked out 1 1/32" cutting diameter. My caliper reads 13/16" at a stretch.. There is just no way to even imagine a 1 inch cutting diameter. needless to say the search is on for a good broadhead once these are returned. Shame on Wac'em!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 8750 View Post
    So I picked up some Wacem trikon broadheads last night. When I assembled and mounted it to my arrow my first impression was like these seem cute. As in small and cute. So I decided to break out the caliper. The package says 1 1/32" cutting diameter. 1/32" says to me that they are just barely over the 1" required by CO hunting regulations. I dont know how they squeaked out 1 1/32" cutting diameter. My caliper reads 13/16" at a stretch.. There is just no way to even imagine a 1 inch cutting diameter. needless to say the search is on for a good broadhead once these are returned. Shame on Wac'em!
    First off your reading your caliper wrong. They are 1 1/32 just like they say they are. Second there a good head. They fly with your field tips and they leave a great blood trail. Ive taken 7 deer with them without any problems

Both of these deer had ax wound looking wounds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A caliper won't give you an accurate reading on a 3 blade BH unless you take the radius from the center of the head and double it. I wouldn't bag on wac'em heads until you try them. They fly great and are sharper than he'll right out of the box. They don't advertise as much as other companies but their performance speaks for itself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Grantbvfd,
    I kind of figured that is how they measured cut diameter, and all the others probably do too. But this is not accurate for a 3 blade broadhead. Sure the radius is 1", but it is not physically possible to get a 1" diameter hole from this configuration and measurment. Maybe this is the "industry standard" and if that is the case it is seriously flawed. If the rules are that a broadhead must have a 1" cutting diameter, I kind of think they mean 1" cutting diameter. Not a 1" cutting diameter if the blades of a 3 blade broadhead were to be perfectly opposed, which is impossible unless symmetry is ignored.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You won't get a 1" measurement out of a lot of broadheads measuring the way you want to. Diameter is a distance across a circle. Draw an imaginary circle around the edges of the BH. Now you have a cutting diameter. Believe me these broadheads KILL. Shoot them and you will see how well they fly. (as long as your bow is properly tuned) slick tricks are another great head but you will have the same issue with your caliper.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As long as the broadhead doesn't slide through a 1" ring/pipe (if that is the state reg.) you should be fine. I was checked by a warden a few years ago here in CA and that was how he checked my broadhead.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantbvfd View Post
    You won't get a 1" measurement out of a lot of broadheads measuring the way you want to. Diameter is a distance across a circle. Draw an imaginary circle around the edges of the BH. Now you have a cutting diameter. Believe me these broadheads KILL. Shoot them and you will see how well they fly. (as long as your bow is properly tuned) slick tricks are another great head but you will have the same issue with your caliper.
    Here is my 100 gr G5 montec. I pushed it through graph paper. They measure 13/16 tip to tip, so that must be the magic number for a 3 blade to get 1" diameter.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g5montec.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	3017

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am eating the sentences stating the wacem will not even come close to passsing the 1" ring test. it will be close and it might pass the test, with a D!. maybe A for creativity.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    we grade on a curve!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I searched for a long time for a broadhead that made a good hole. To test I do the following. Get your phonebook out and select one sheet. Hold the sheet tight and push your broadhead through. You can measure but I just compare the hole of several different heads by putting my finger through it. I settled on the Muzzy MX4 as its hole is huge caused by one more cutting blade. I have always been intregued by the 4blade magnus stinger and last year finally bought some. I did the test and although the cutting diameter is the same for both the MX4 hole is actually much bigger. Although the stinger gets great reviews I returned them. May get a little less penatration with the muzzy but the hole lets more blood out. Although everyone advertises cutting diameter this test truely gives you an idea of hole size.