Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    OK guys, got pictures uploaded and album done. Check my profile
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    OK guys, got pictures uploaded and album done. Check my profile
    Very nice CC. The deer log tells a pretty good story in itself. Looks like a nice catch of California Golden trout from what I thought I saw too in one of the pictures. Looks like some awesome memories.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 1 Post
    Here's a few pictures from a trip we did a couple years back... We went closing weekend, so the bucks were out of velvet and already transitioning... Biggest buck we saw was a 140's 4X3 but there are much bigger in the country... We went for 3 days and covered about 35 miles... We were pretty beat once back at the trailhead!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00393.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	3034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08458.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	3035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00457.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	3036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00480.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	3037
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylight View Post
    Here's a few pictures from a trip we did a couple years back... We went closing weekend, so the bucks were out of velvet and already transitioning... Biggest buck we saw was a 140's 4X3 but there are much bigger in the country... We went for 3 days and covered about 35 miles... We were pretty beat once back at the trailhead!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00393.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	3034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08458.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	3035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00457.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	3036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00480.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	3037
    35 miles in 3 days up and down the mountains sounds like quite the tour. Looks like some nice country and sounds like a fun adventure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thats awsome CC, you have a lot of cool old stories I'm sure. when I was a kid my dad use to pack in to the sallie Keys but I was never able to go with him. I was going to take a pack trip with him this year but dont have any vacation this year still trying though. I work for the state and vacation is by senority and I'm low on the totom pole. Would like to get the experiance of packing to pass on to my kids some day.
    Last edited by Red 1; 03-27-2012 at 01:25 AM.
    OO-DE-LOLLY

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    California is so ugly huh gray light? Cc you need to sit down and record all of your old stories so generations can pass them on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Let me tell you a little about the picture with the trout. Those are Piute Cutthroats, which are pretty rare. One day back in the 70's my Dad got a call from a F&G biologist and told him Bob Tanner (owner of Reds Meadows) had told him that no one knew that country better than us. They had some pure strain Piutes that they wanted to plant in a stream that could be isolated from Rainbows and Brookies and did he have any ideas. Well we knew of one that had a falls at the end where it dumped into the SJ River and originated in a meadow and was barren. My Dad told them how to get there and they packed in the fingerlings the old way, by packstring. Those trout did well and are still there today. I doubt if anyone remembers they are there and I know nobody fishes them but us when we are deer hunting. Most of them are between 8 & 12", biggest probably 16. But they are stunning and very beautiful....good eating too!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    That's awesome cc!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Let me tell you a little about the picture with the trout. Those are Piute Cutthroats, which are pretty rare. One day back in the 70's my Dad got a call from a F&G biologist and told him Bob Tanner (owner of Reds Meadows) had told him that no one knew that country better than us. They had some pure strain Piutes that they wanted to plant in a stream that could be isolated from Rainbows and Brookies and did he have any ideas. Well we knew of one that had a falls at the end where it dumped into the SJ River and originated in a meadow and was barren. My Dad told them how to get there and they packed in the fingerlings the old way, by packstring. Those trout did well and are still there today. I doubt if anyone remembers they are there and I know nobody fishes them but us when we are deer hunting. Most of them are between 8 & 12", biggest probably 16. But they are stunning and very beautiful....good eating too!
    Very cool story CC. I looked at the picture again at work this morning on a bigger screen. The parr marks stand out on what you caught and the fish had deep color and were real pretty. They are very rare. It's one of the rarest trout subspecies in North America. The Paiute cutthroat trout has the smallest historic range of any trout on North America. I've heard stories about the Fish and Game putting away some in far away isolated locations to try and keep a good strain going and away from hybridization, just in case they needed it. Sounds like that once barren water held them well. I was hoping they would open up the Silver King Creek so I could cross that form off my list on the California Heritage Trout Challenge. The Paiute is the hardest one to catch in some of it's native water on my list due to how limited that water is of the 11 forms.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Those are some cool old pics in your album...........gotta love the old pics...