Thanks

Best 3-Layer, Ultralight Weight Rain Gear

Hey wondering what thoughts were on the best 3-layer, ultralight weight backpacking rain gear out there?
    Team Backcountry

Thanks

http://shop.kuiu.com/outerwear-c4.aspx

I've been looking into the KUIU Chugach Jacket and Pant. Kind of on the spendy side but I've heard a lot of good reviews.

3 layer system but at a 2 layer weight. 13.3 ounces for the pants, 17.3 ounces for the jacket.

Thanks
    Kuiu is actually my first choice as well. The only issue, and really the first issue i've found with anything KUIU, is that the inseam on the chugach pants are only 33" compared to the 35" inseam on the attack pants. I was really disappointed with this because KUIU seems to be so length and height oriented with everything else they make. I can't stand "highwaters" and i'm 6'4 so i was curious if anyone had a different idea. but i am leaning towards KUIU Kevin. Good choice, I think.
    Team Backcountry

Thanks
    maybe they'll specialize some 35" inseam Chugach pants for me. ha
    Team Backcountry

Thanks
    Take a look at REI branded eVent clothing. It is light for 3 layer (15 ounces on my size Large jacket), and truly breathes. I have not had good luck with GORE fabrics breathing. It is my understanding that The Kuiu jacket also uses an air permeable membrane like eVent. The REI is available in black, but that is the only hunting-friendly color. No camo available.

Thanks
    thanks. sounds like a great suggestion. I'm going to go take a look. I think I can handle non camo rain gear.
    Team Backcountry

Thanks
    Thanks for the help Bitterroot. I found the REI Kimtah rain gear that has 3-layer eVent fabric. I assume thats the set you were referring to. Only problem is the pants look to have only a 30" inseam. Maybe i'll just have to go with KUIU and then supplement with a set of gaiters. Might be the best option.
    Team Backcountry

Thanks
    Yeah Kimtah is the jacket I have. It is really nice. I thought they had a long pants option. Sorry that didn't work out.

Thanks
    You're right. there is a long option with a 32" inseam. I didn't see that before.
    Team Backcountry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Take a look at REI branded eVent clothing. It is light for 3 layer (15 ounces on my size Large jacket), and truly breathes. I have not had good luck with GORE fabrics breathing. It is my understanding that The Kuiu jacket also uses an air permeable membrane like eVent. The REI is available in black, but that is the only hunting-friendly color. No camo available.
    BB I'm ok with the weight and price and even color of the REI. It does sound like a good solution. Toray Dermizax, Primeflex fabrics as opposed to the REI Ripstop nylon though….. I'm not all familiar with Toray Dermizax, Primeflex fabrics that KUIU uses but the stretch and durability they offer sound inviting to me along with the added breakup pattern.

Does anyone know how durable the fabric is on the KUIU or how they compare with some of the traditional fabrics? How easy does it rip when waking thru brush? Ideally I'd want something that will take a little bit of punishment to slide through some brush. I found the below links but have not found how they compare in durability to other fabrics out there.

http://www.torayentrant.com/primeflex/index.html

http://www.torayentrant.com/dermizax/der_003.html
    Last edited by Kevin Root; 03-27-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Typo