Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

The reason we hunt

I posted in the elk section last week a video of a father son hunting trip to Wyoming and here is the second episode of that adventure. At times some of us get caught up in the trophy hunting aspect or caught up in some other aspect of hunting, I feel these videos depict the real reason we hunt, to enjoy great company and the great outdoors! Check out the video

http://www.huntforeverwest.com/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The reason why I hunt is to be with people I enjoy being around the camp fire at the end of the day. I am going on my first DIY Elk hunt this year. Every time I go into the field I remember what my dad would always said to me at "it's called hunting not killing you will not get a animal every time you go into the field." That being said I do not have a lot of expectation this year on my elk hunt, but plan on gathering lots of knowledge and having lots of fun with my brother!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't know what it is, but the moment for me when it changes from riding in a truck, to being set up and in the field hunting, I get a feeling, kinda like it's on! or game on! or one with nature or connecting to ancient man, but it's a unique feeling, hard to describe, my goal is a trophy animal, but if I didn't get "that feeling" the moment the hunt begins I wouldn't be out there pursuing anything. Perhaps its the feeling of what it means to be "man" or a man, not truly certain.

I just started the video, so perhaps I'll update this, sorry if it's unrelated, but I thought I'd post why it is I hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Why I hunt? Simple.............I don't hunt to kill, I hunt to live.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's all about the bone.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I sure don't hunt for the kill. I hunt for the joy of the hunt. The challenge of the hunt, and of course being in the mountains. It would have to be more than being in the mountains though. I do that 250 days a year at a minimum.

I like hunting when the animal has the use of all it's senses working 100%. I want to beat/fool the animal on it's own terms. For 60 years i've done nothing but still hunt in the timber. I've never had a shot over 100 yds. The kill is my reward for doing everything right. Every bite of the meat I take will remind me of the hunt, and that I gave the animal every chance to beat me. If it was easy i'd choke on the meat.

Hunting is my life. When I can no longer hunt. My life is over.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunt for many reasons! Mainly, to provide for my family. But also because I love to get out in the mountains or wherever and to be able to experience it all. I love to watch animals in their habitat. Some of the best time of hunting for me are some of the times I have just sat and watched animals. Like calf elk playing of even the other day when I was shed hunting, there were two dropped bucks who stood up on their hind legs and started beating the crap out of each other. I love stuff like that. I also hunt for the family time. My daughter loves to come with me and the excitement she has on her face when we go is worth the world to me. I love the outdoors and everything it has to offer.
    Has anyone heard that brad paisley song, I'm still a guy? That song reminds me of me.... Even though I'm not a guy.

Arizona's Mogollon Rim and White Mountains
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    The reasons I hunt are to enjoy days in the outdoors with family and friends and also to put meat on the table. I'm not concerned with trophy antlers nor score. I don't even know how to score an elk or deer, let alone a turkey or antelope. I don't even put in for bull elk tags anymore, have better chance of getting drawn for a cow.
    I've been on many hunts that I did not kill an animal, but I've never had an unsuccessful hunt. The time with family and close friends is priceless, and the memories are precious to me.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities;…” -George W. “Nessmuk” Sears-

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    It's a family adventure for me. I only hunt for the trophy to hang on the wall but my wife and kid hunt for whatever excites them. I can pass on lots of game for my reasons but I get more satisfaction when my wife or daughter gets something that they are excited to harvest. Just the look on there faces is what keeps me hunting. And the 3rd best thing is the meat, we love it all!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    I don't know what it is, but the moment for me when it changes from riding in a truck, to being set up and in the field hunting, I get a feeling, kinda like it's on! or game on! or one with nature or connecting to ancient man, but it's a unique feeling, hard to describe, my goal is a trophy animal, but if I didn't get "that feeling" the moment the hunt begins I wouldn't be out there pursuing anything. Perhaps its the feeling of what it means to be "man" or a man, not truly certain.

I just started the video, so perhaps I'll update this, sorry if it's unrelated, but I thought I'd post why it is I hunt.
    GAME ON! I love it. I know exactly the feeling you are trying to describe and I definitly agree if the day comes that I don't feel that anymore it would be a sad day and I would be turned into the camp cook.