Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Chad,

If we were talking about 500yds. I might not say anything. Moving it to 1000yds puts it into sniper range. I have no doubt 1000yd shots can be taken by a few. It would take a lot of training to be proficient at it, and then i'd like to what the odds are in the field of a miss. At it's best it has to be a low percentage shot. I've seen misses more than once on TV shows. I just watched one last night. 756 yds and he shot 2 ft over the deer. Spotter says. "You shot high". He takes another shot, and drops the deer. Was that a good percentage shot?

The problem I have is Joe Average sees shows like that, or threads like this, and thinks he can do it too. He's take a few shots at the range, and then goes in the field, and wounds an animal. My concern is always for the animal. Have enough respect for it to give it a fast kill. There's so many things that can go wrong with 1000yd shots that it can't ever be a sure thing. Only those who are highly skilled should attempt it. I think that list of hunters is very small.

Now, since you had to bring up my style of hunting. Let me talk about it a bit. Just so you understand me a little.

My dad started me hunting when I was 8 years old. Small game with a .22 to start off, and then when i was 11 years old he bought me a 30-30 for deer. Which I continued to use for elk and deer until now. With some ML recently.
    What he drove into me from the beginning is to respect the animals. To never ever take a chancy shot. He taught me to give the animal evry chance to escape. To always still hunt, and let the animal be able to use all it's senses to beat me. I've never wavered from what I was taught. I cannot count the animals i've passed up, because the shot was chancy. Without bragging, because I was also taught to not do that either, I can say i've never taken a shot that didn't kill the animal in 61 years of hunting. I could never say this if it wasn't the self control my dad taught me.
    Is my way the only way to hunt. Of course not. That would be ridiculous for me to say that. Everybody should hunt the way they like. I just want to see everybody do it in a responsible way that gives respect to the animal. If that means taking a 1000yd shot, and you can do it everytime? Good deal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well put ChadH.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    To each his own...only problem is the guys that think they can, and really can't...I know plenty that can...and a few that can't that think they can...but guys on the internet telling them they can't...just makes them try more...the bad ones that is...they don't care.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    lol... This is great. I love it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    lol... This is great. I love it.
    Very entertaining, no one is going to change anybodies opinion on this issue lol I for one love long range hunters, it keeps people from discovering the rush of bowhunting

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree. There's no way I'd take a 1,000 yard shot! BOTW does push the Huskemaw optics pretty hard with some impressive shots,
    but I bet you money, they edit some of those videos with some shots that didn't go according to plan... ie... wounded animals. Let's put this into some monetary terms.
    Spotting scope able to "accurately" judge a trophy that far away- $3,000
    A scope that good to put the crosshairs on the point of impact- $2,000
    A rifle that good to accurately shoot at 1,000 yards- $3,500
    Practice time with superior ammunition @ $50 a box- $300 (we all know you can't just chamber 1 round and send it down range at
    a 1,000 yards like it shows on TV)
    With all that, your looking at close to $10,000 just in order to pull the trigger. Take into account all the logistical support, guide services, fuel, lodging, etc.... your looking between $15-20,000 for a hunt.
    No thanks, I'd rather hike my a$$ off in the greatest country in the world, and harvest a good buck than spend that much to say I took one at a 1,000 yards. To put it square, I'd rather spend $20,000 of my own money if I was in the military to snipe off some a$$hole who was trying to kill one of our soldiers. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkcrazedfrk View Post
    So..After watching an episode of Best of the West and listening to all those guys promote their "Super scopes" is about to put me into a fit of rage. Shoot'n critters 1000+ yrds away is not what hunting is about is my opinion. They preach of adjusting their scopes for windage that they detect...Well heres a novel thought....You really think the wind is blowing the same on the other side of the canyon over 1000 yards away?????? Isn't half the hunt making the stalk. What are your thoughts? Sorry, but I had to vent.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great, here we go again.......
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    $10,000 is pretty high. I'm sure it can be done much cheaper.

I don't think i've spent $10,000 in 60 years of hunting. I'm so cheap.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Guys, I think we can safely say that not everybody is going to see this issue in the same way. How about we just let it go, and find some common ground. Then we will see how long this thread can do dormant before being dragged up again.
    Almost 2 months!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    When I was in the Army going thru basic training (many years ago!) they started us out with BB guns at 1000" (yes inches)....does that have any relevence? Ha ....laugh a lot at that! Probably about as much as me shooting at an animal at 1000 YARDS!!!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 05-31-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley