Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ceby7 View Post
    What's so awesome about it? What does it prove? Does it prove your not capable of getting any closer? I don't care how much skill someone has or how much they practice, or how patient they are. None of those are even relevant. It's all about what is ethical and what is not. Unfortunatley, ethics vary from person to person.
    It proves that all the time and money that I've put into my rigs has paid off. This isn't holding over the back with a regular old duplex reticle or even with the Nikon BDC stuff. This is precision shooting. How is skill, practice and patience not relevant?

For the record, I am not taking 1k shots at animals because I am not prepared yet; although I have whacked rocks and gongs at that distance. Right now, 800 is my max range. I've recently taken a whitetail buck at 754, a doe antelope at 785, and a cow elk at 760. All one shots kills.

Maybe I think bowhunting is unethical? Or I could think that because my ability with a bow is non-existant? If I hunted with a bow I would probably be one of those guys who went home to let the deer lay in the woods overnight with an arrow sticking half way in the guts. But, I don't hunt with a bow and never will... because I have no skill or interest with them. When that big buck pops out across the canyon at 600 yards, there's no doubt that he's getting both front shoulders broken by a 180 grain Triple Shock.
    Last edited by Elkoholic307; 03-10-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: grammar
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I guess I'm somewhat neutral on the issue. I have a problem with anyone who puts the chance at an animal above their ability. I don't know that range matters. I have shot steel out to 1500 yards and it was a blast (pun intended) but the gun I was using would not be practical in the field. If people can shoot 1000 yard and make a kill shot without question that doesn't really bother me. I remember having an old relative of mine give me a hard time because I shot with a scope. Is sitting on a rock at 1000 yards shooting an unsuspecting animal any less ethical than sitting in a tree shooting an unsuspecting animal. Neither animal has any clue they are in danger and either hunter has a chance at making a bad shot. For me being out hiking, pushing myself, experiencing views and situations that very few ever have is what hunting is about. A shot at an animal is an added bonus.

The real question I have is, as technology increases peoples ability to make quality long range shots will also increase, at what point will the ethical line be drawn? Some of you have said it has been drawn already and a 1000 yard shot is beyond the limit of ethical hunting. If that is the case then at what distance does ethics become a factor and why? Is it because you don't feel comfortable beyond that distance even though someone else may?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not to de-rail the thread, but since you mentioned 1000 yd shots, here is a story everybody should read. This guy deserves a Salute from America, he is a real American Hero!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...000-yards.html

Best of Luck,
    Jeff

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It is legal, and if you can make the shot every time it is ethical too, but I don't see the challenge in it. How hard is it to get 1000 yards from an animal? It's not very challenging in my opinion, and I think it would be cool to be able to do it on a range, but even if I could i doubt I would want to use that kind of a shot in the field. I don't mind shots out to 350 or 400 yards at times, especially in big country where you might have to shoot from one ridge across to the adjacent one, and that is as close as your stalk gets you. I bow hunt personally, and I feel fine with taking shots out to 60 or 70 yards, but only because I practice everyday. Even though 70 yards isn't that close in the scheme of bow and arrows, shooting 70 yards is sometimes the only option in steep and open country. I try to get as close as possible before I shoot. I just don't think that those guys shooting 1000 yards really can't get any closer than they already are.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One of the major points I was trying to make; Is there really that much sport in whacking an animal at 800 yrds. The animal your shooting and I stress shooting cause it sure isnt hunting or stalking, doesn't have a chance. Aside from the bragg'n rights that you can make a long distance shot; what else do you have. Save it for the varmints and have a little respect for the game animals that we are blessed to hunt not just shoot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Is there any more sport shooting an animal from a tree stand?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTTIN View Post
    For me that is why I bow hunt, I love the thrill of having to get close.
    I agree totally with RUTTIN. The reason why I bow hunt is the rush I get when an animal is within spitting distance. The closer the better because the thrill becomes more intense. I remember getting so close to a bull elk once that his drool after he bugled was dropping just a couple feet from my boot. I have had fawns walk up to me and smell my pant leg...what a thrill. With that said, everyone gets their thrill in different ways and forms. As hunters, we are strong when we stand together. I really have no motivation to knock an animal down at 1000 yards, but that's okay for others as long as they have paid the price of the tag and know their limitations. There will always be a small percentage of "so-called hunters" who give us all a bad rap because the go way beyond their limitations.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    First, I am not trying to step on any toes or cast any stones, just wanted to state my opinion!
    I just watched the show "Long Distance Pursuit" where they shot a speed goat at 750 yards along with several other kills from 300 to 450 yards, including a shot buy the hosts 12 year old son. While all were clean kills, I still have to question the wisdom of putting this on TV. Sure there are many people that have put in the time and expense to learn how to shoot these ranges, but to the average hunter watching this, he sees a 12 year old kid make the shot and figures I can too. I applaud the shooters who can consistently make these shots, but I still thinks it sends the wrong message.
    I suppose that the term "average hunter" isn't fair, seeing how I would consider myself an average hunter, But we all know the hunter that buys a rifle and a tag and calls himself a hunter and without any thought to skill level or practicing goes hunting. these are the type of hunters that will see this and say me too! I personally have walked away from many bucks because I don't feel comfortable shooting extreme distances. 350 to 400 is about my limit.
    Go ahead and take your long shots, but don't glorify or advertise.
    Gun ranges and shooting matches are made for this type of activity and there is no chance of "wounding" a target.
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have to weigh in on this long range shooting. #1. At 800 yards, if you do make a bad shot and wound the elk, what next? Now the elk at 800 plus yards is running. A follow up shot at 800 or 900 yards! Right! #2. A wounded animal 800 yards or more is leaving the country. Now the hunter has to cross the canyon, creek, or down the mountain. So how long will it take this long range shooter to close the distance? I know from my hunting experience that a wounded elk has long legs and leaves the country. Just those two points alone makes shooting long distances unreliable for me. Mike
    Mike Eastman
    Founder Eastmans' Hunting Journals

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by T43 View Post
    Is there any more sport shooting an animal from a tree stand?
    Uhh, ya. Ever heard of scent control? How about positioning for a shot without being detected? Sitting for hours without moving or making noise? Those don't matter 1000 yds. away. Hell, I might as well plop myself in a lawnchair, sip on a cocktail, and wait till that elk comes walking out in the next county!
    I recognized long ago that if I have a warehouse full of guns, but no public land or public wildlife, I have nothing!