Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    As I read thru this thread, “too many variables” seems to be the popular phrase. I’m curious to know what everyone means by that. I would say one variable is human error or inability. The people that shoot once a year right before hunting season could be a variable because they’re not proficient with their weapon. But my guess is, it’s mainly wind and time of flight. I am aware of both. Do you think I only shoot at far distances when the conditions are perfect? It doesn’t matter if it is still out or blowing 15 mph, I am still out shooting and will compensate for whatever necessary because I have the data and equipment to do so. At long range, a hunter has a lot of time for proper preparation and time to find a solid rest. The hunter also has time to study the animal, hence the patience to take the shot at the right time.

You can get close to almost anything, but what about when you can't? It's not like long range rifles can only shoot long range. I still try to get in close for the shot, but reality is sometimes you can't. And, when I can't, I know I can still make the shot farther away. Trust me, confidence in yourself and your weapon is a great feeling. Years ago, I watched my brother pass up a 600 yard shot on a B&C bull elk. At that point in time, I wasn’t prepared for that range either. But, now I am; and I believe it’s going to give me a big advantage.

Long range obviously isn’t for everyone. We reload to squeeze every ounce of accuracy out of our rifles. We use high quality equipment from rangefinders, to wind meters, to levels, and drop charts for proper bullet placement, etc.

If you can’t shoot long range or have no interest in it, that’s fine. Just don’t stand in the way of those that can.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    I couldn't agree more with Guy or Mike. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Thanks
    That's it?

Thanks
    You can get close to almost anything, but what about when you can't? It's not like long range rifles can only shoot long range. I still try to get in close for the shot, but reality is sometimes you can't. And, when I can't, I know I can still make the shot farther away.

Not sure how to make the little quote bubble but the above was was posted by Elkoholic

If you can't get any closer than 1000 yds, 800 yds, 600 yds, or even in most cases 400 yds you aren't really trying very hard. I have never had a case when that was as close as I could get. I have walked 2+ miles extra to close that distance, that is was hunting is all about, not saying i can't because it will require too much extra work.
    Last edited by Shane; 03-11-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    I've recently taken a whitetail buck at 754, a doe antelope at 785, and a cow elk at 760. All one shots kills.
    You just said that you still try and get close, but sometimes you can't, yet you've "recently" killed 3 animals past 750 yrds. You must not try that hard. It's clear that in this argument you're not going to change your mind and neither am I. I've stated my opinion and I will leave it at that.
    I recognized long ago that if I have a warehouse full of guns, but no public land or public wildlife, I have nothing!

Thanks
    Elkoholic, are you Jim Burnworth?

Thanks
    I agree! Just because you can hit something at 1000 yards doesn't mean you should shoot an animal at 1000 yards. The energy lost and the variables to consider make it a very risky shot. For me the fun of hunting is to see how close I can get to an animal (esp. for bow season). My .300 RUM can shoot out to 1100+ yards but the energy the bullet looses is too great of a risk in dropping the animal. Anything over 700 yards for me requires additional stalking.

Thanks
    This is getting more interesting with every post. For the most part people don't like 1000 yard shots but the distances they are comfortable with varies a lot. Like I have said before I am not comfortable much past 400 yards with my current set up. Some of you say you would take a 600 or 700 yard shot but not a 1000 yard shot. Why? I know most 1000 yard hunters have a lot of gadgetry to help them place the shot exactly where they want it but I wonder how many of you that would shoot 600 or 700 yards are using nothing more than a guess at a holdover. That in my mind would be worse. I suppose my real question has yet to be answered. What is that magic number where the ethical line is drawn?

Thanks
    Hey Elkaholic what kind of range finder do you use? I don't think I'll be shooting over 400 yards. But it does help to be able to range stuff from far out.

Thanks
    I'm currently using the Zeiss Victory PRF but I was using Swarovski and Leica in previous seasons. All three are great.