Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Elkoholic has a good point. We are now beating a dead horse. So how about we all agree to disagree. I'll close by saying I'm right and Elkoholic is wrong..lol...I'm kidding. Spring is finally in the air, I'm headed out antler hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How far will you shoot at one of them?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm beginning to think that this thread is immortal! Nothing can kill it! Doesn't seem to matter how CLOSE or FAR an argument is nothing can reach it!!!
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can't make the 1000yd shot, but I can make what I call a long shot. I am no longer able to walk very far so I practice through 600 yds and try to be 400 or closer for mule deer.
    The older I get the farther I shoot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    HAHA Jerrry, you are right, all it did was make everyone argue, this isn't the place for that. We are all hunters and should respect the way everyone hunts as long as it is legal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Amen...Sorry for creating this MONSTER!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm new to this website and the serious idea of western hunting. I am planning to hunting elk and mullies this fall in Colorado. I live in southwest MI and rifles are illegal where I live and hunt. For us, a LONG muzzleloader shot is 200 yards, shotgun is 125 yards and archery is 40 yards. That is pretty much the norm for us. We have the same debates that I'm reading about in this thread. My only real concern is that I or someone I know is not put in harms way while in the woods. I choose to believe that every hunter has the same high standards as I do while chasing game. That they will know the limits of their shooting abilities, physical conditioning, equipment, terrain, weather and game before they set up for a shot. Let alone before they squeeze the trigger. In doing so it helps me to keep my debatable opinions to myself. The results will speak for themselves and on those facts I will clearly point out if a person had a lapse in judgment if they would dare to tell the truth. If they desire to be ethical, then they wont need my observations. And if they're not, then my opinion wont matter.

I marvel that people can shoot accurately at 1000 yards. I am expecting to be competent up to 300 yards this fall. I do have one request. If you find yourself setting up for a long-range shot and you happen to notice another hunter stalking closer to "our" prey, who appears out of place. Don't shoot. It may be me and I probably wont know you're there. And it would SUCK to see my prize drop in front of me. Happy hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shoot out to 800 yards with my 270 win. and the only animal that I'll shoot that far is a dog got to keep my friends beef cows alive lost to my calfs in the last 10 years.The only deer that I've shoot over 250 yards was at 550 and ONLY took the shoot was the other hunter wounded it and didn't follow through.talk about making me mad.
    Can you handle the challenge.... hunt hard but safe!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have my own opinion on the matter, but that is not what is important. It is not for me to tell someone else what they can or cannot do as long as it is legal. We as outdoorsman shouldn't be arguing amongst ourselves. This just gives those who want to do away with our sport more ammo when they are talking to that 80% that doesn't have an opinion either way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This has been a great thread, with valid points on both sides. I think a hunter must decide for themselves how far to shoot, and the decision to shoot long range must be made with confidence that is based on experience. That being said, as a strict bowhunter, I personally need to feel a connection to any animal I hunt. I could never be satisfied with killing an animal from afar.