Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highcountry View Post
    Plentycoupe- I couldn’t agree more with your post.

I think whether you’re a short-ranger or a long-ranger you’re out there because you love being in the outdoors, love the physical and mental challenge and love being around people who have that in common. Spending the time to be prepared and using good judgment and restraint is what ethics is about, not some arbitrary number of yards.

By the way, one thing I think we can all agree on is that it’s because of the sacrifices your making that we have the right to hunt and own firearms, among other things, so thank you for your service!
    No problem brother! I love the job, just don't love the time away as much! Soon I will be back to sunny Alaska and then, with fingers crossed, I will find a place to hunt Muleys in Wyoming next year.

Thanks
    Plentycoupe- I have a cousin who lives in WY and is helping me locate some deer hunting (also getting points and trying to dial in some muley hunting in colorado). Let me know if you need info or a few hunting partners!

Thanks

Thanks highcountry

HEy brother I sure do appreciate the offer. I will be in contact via pm. I am looking to put a hunt together in Wyoming, hopefully next year. I have will have three points in July so that should give me a few options.
    I am always looking for information and new hunting friends. Maybe we will put something together for mule deer and then Alaska after that!
    Thanks again
    Jason

Thanks
    Wow what an interesting thread, lots of different viewpoints to be considered. First let me say something about these TV shows...they never tell you how many animals they miss or cripple to get that perfect footage. I can only speak for myself when it comes to how and when I shoot. I have a custom rifle that is fully capable of the accuracy necessary to shoot less than minute of angle groups at 1000 yards. I have done all the homework, developed my handloads and done lots of practice, but does that mean I am going to shoot anything at 1000 yards? Probably not. I have killed a few antelope and deer at the 500 yard mark when I determined I could not get any closer and was confident that I could make the shot. I really don't want to have to chase an animal down that I have made a bad shot on, done that too many times with several of my former hunting pals. Not fun and a potential waste of some good eating.

All that said, do I think that it is ethical? Thats for each individual to decide for themselves, I know what I will do.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 06-10-2011 at 09:09 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    FAIR CHASE HUNTING!!!!!! Shooting an animal at 1000 yds doesnt seem very fair or respectful to the animal. Just my 2 cents. Nothing better than the thrill of getting close with a bow!!

Thanks
    If it is a quick humane kill and feeds you or your family, then I don't have a problem with it. I have more problems with people who try to take our hunting right away from us. I will spend my time and energy fighting them rather than telling a fellow hunter how he/she should hunt. I don't enjoy shooting (guns) as much as some people, but I practice so as to make good shots and quick kills, and I know my limits. Some people love to shoot long range and translate that into hunting, to each his own. I like to hold a bow and blend in with nature hoping to get an opportunity to take an animal, then honor that animal by using its meat to nourish my family. If it has a great rack, cool, if not, then I will probably not have to tenderize the meat as much, just as cool.
    I'd rather be bowhunting...

Thanks
    If folks can make the shot more power to them. If they wound them and know it, then it's something the hunter has to live with and it can eat at them just as equally as the excitement of of walking up and shooting one point blank. I'm prepped to shoot 800yds if need be (I'd like to be <600yd), but I acknowledge that sometimes trying to get closer can go from being a good idea to being upset that you had an opportunity at a deer you'll probably never see again.

Thanks
    Hunting is called hunting for a reason. Why cut the hunt short? If it were easy we'd just call it shooting!

Thanks
    Wow!!Ill say it again. I never thought starting this thread would create this much diverse dialog. All in all, after reading all the posts, the one statement that sticks out the most is those who preach WE SHOULD NOT FIGHT WITH EACH OTHER. LETS FOCUS OUR ENERGY ON THOSE WHO TRY AND TAKE AWAY A PASSION AND OR OBSESSION THAT WE ALL SHARE. Not yelling with the capslock; just saying that if I take anything away from this that will be it. Good luck this fall and remember whatever distance you are shooting "aim small miss small'

Thanks
    I think it is definitely a "to each their own" sort of topic..
    PERSONALLY I love love love stalking in super close! But I am a bow hunter... The only thing I hunt with a rifle is my antelope and that's only if I am unsuccessful with my bow. I have my gun set up to where I am comfortable shooting 500 yards but I have never actually shot anything over 300 yards. The majority of my shots are 150 yards or less.. Except for when I am prarie dog hunting
    I could never feel comfortable or happy at making a long distance shot. If I wanted to do that, I would sit on my back porch and shoot deer. But where is the fun in that? I love getting all dressed up in my camo and trying to be sneaky and scent free.
    But that's just my preferences