Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ceby7 View Post
    What's so awesome about it? What does it prove? Does it prove your not capable of getting any closer? I don't care how much skill someone has or how much they practice, or how patient they are. None of those are even relevant. It's all about what is ethical and what is not. Unfortunatley, ethics vary from person to person.

I think "skill, practice and patience" are not only relevant, but the entire foundation of any responsible shooter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwalczak View Post
    I think "skill, practice and patience" are not only relevant, but the entire foundation of any responsible shooter.
    \

Very true..Doesn't matter whether your shooting 10 yrds or 500.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am also neutral on the long range shooting. In December 2010 I had wounded a non-typical buck in the rear leg on a shot at about 260 yards, we lost him over night. The next day followed the blood trail up the mountain and we spotted him at about 700 yards bedded under a rock pile. As we started moving towards him he got up and started moving away, there was no way we were going to be able to get closer so we set up on the tripod and my dad told me to hold my .270 with a stock scope about 6 feet above his head. So at 650 yards I was able to drop this buck with a complete hail mary of a shot. Now this buck is on my wall, but I do not brag about that shot, a lot of the time I dont even mention it. But I think when a long range shot is your only option sometimes it can pay off and some times it can really screw you.
    "Elk dont know how many feet a horse has" - Bear Claw

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    I could never feel comfortable or happy at making a long distance shot. If I wanted to do that, I would sit on my back porch and shoot deer. But where is the fun in that? I love getting all dressed up in my camo and trying to be sneaky and scent free. But that's just my preferences
    Lol, that's exactly what I do, with does anyway. I would feel absolutely silly dressing in camo and spraying myself with scent killer and then 'stalk' through the alfalfa up to one.

Sending a 250 gr. AccuBond from far away is a much more thrilling way to punch a fun ticket, as Primos say.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Same kind of debate but I can compare the two, I hear people say running dogs to catch bear and lion is cheating and no fun. That is a crock of crap is alot of work to run dogs. Ask any SUCCESSFUL houndsmen how many hours a week they put in with their dogs and I guarantee you it is more than think. We spent about 40 when running ours. It is alot of work. It is also alot of work to shoot that ranges. You can't go buy a rifle and head down to Sportsmans and buy the best ammo you can buy. You spend alot of time on the range and reloading room. It is all for the same result just a different way of getting there. Any type of hunting you do you are going to spend alot of time and energy doing it, same goes for shooting long range or getting in close.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ethics and competance are the issues with any shot. I watched a local hunter last week park in the middle of the paved highway, jump out, shoot from the road illegally at a deer 75 yards away then leave without checking for blood! clearly he was not ethical at any distance! I had a very unsuccessful back surgery 5 years ago. While trying to heal I built a long range deer and varmit rifle and both practiced and digested everything i could on rifles and shooting. I am now much worse physically than the day I had surgery or the 2 follow ups. I must now hunt only from the road since a trip thru walmart puts me in bed. I hunt with someone always but longer shots are often my only chance. Yet I know my ability AND stay well within that ability while my horses get fat. Many say long range hunting has no challenge and is not hunting. I hope and pray you are never in my situation because being out now is the challenge! be safe everyone! catman

Thanks
    Congratulations
    1000 yrds. Really?.. That's it?... That is as close as you could get, and that was the best chance at getting that animal?...OK

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here we go again....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Drhorsepower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    Here we go again....
    No kidding. Let it go already!

Thanks