Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Did this thread get resurrected again?

Sheesh.
    BB I thought the same thing and had my finger on the cancel button after I made another comment.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Did this thread get resurrected again?

Sheesh.
    ha, my bad, I think I was the one that kicked it up again......I havn't seen this thread till last night( I don't know how....there's 11 pages) after reading back a few pages I realize why it needs to die....
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shoot F-Class competition at 1000-1400 yards every weekend. I know how to read the wind, and shoot more a month than most people who shoot a lot do all year.

Usually I go through a barrel or 2 a year on the F-Class rifle.

I am also a military firearms instructor, and while I feel that everyone can always learn a lot more about shooting, I am pretty confident because of the distances I shoot every week out well past 1000 on big game and varmints. And I have taken quite a few animals at long distance.

Long range shooting shooting with a rifle is rocket science literally. That being said it's not something that only a select few can learn to do. All it takes is the right equipment and a lot of ammunition to get figured out.

Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge Gunsmithing in Idaho is kind a fairly famous long range shooter, he's also a several time state champion sniper competition guy and shoots F-Class. Has killed some animals with a 17 pound 338 Edge at distances to include 2000 yards. He does it the right way, he uses a ballistic solver and weather machine to get his shooting solution using a mil-dot type reticle.

Todd Hodnett of Accuracy 1st also uses a ballistic solver (that he invented). Todd is the several time National Champion Sniper Competition winner and a defense contractor (because the military likes his sniper math so well). Shoots 338 Lapuas and even AR-308 type rifles in excess of 1000 yards at game, successfully.

A 70 (or realistically 60) yard bow shot is a completely different animal than shooting at 1000 yards. As the bullet is going faster at 3000 yards than the arrow is at 5.

The biggest difference between Hodnett and Carlock when compared to the Best of the West, Long Range Precision and any other of these similar "dial and kill" idiots is that humidity, barometric pressure, tempature, altitude and more than anything wind play a huge issue with every shot. The concept of using dials or reticles in relation to a distance is absurd. As the consistancy over several hours of 1000 feet of altitude can change a shot at 1000 yards enough to miss by 30 inches.

Hodnett and Carlock calculate each shot sequence before they take it. They build a new algorithm every time.

Turrets and Balistic reticles only get you close. While Mil type reticles are harder for most to get the hang of, they are of a consistant value. Horus reticles are even better, as a you can adjust your reticle hold based on reading bullet strike and trace.

Something else that isn't really talked about much on those shows is the need to reload. A 30 FPS difference in speed at 1000 yards is enough for a 30 inch deviation in flight path and bullet strike. I personally think if you have a MIL reticle you should have a mil turret. Why confuse things?

Yes 1000 yards is a long ways, if you shoot it a lot it's a lot closer than you think and if you have the right equipment and knowledge it's not that far at all.

The biggest thing is you have to question everything. Consistency is everything.

1. Eye relief perfect/ perfect paralax!
    2. Rifle is held/supported the same way every time.
    3. The ammunition must be perfect, bullet concentric to bore, powder charge perfect, neck tension perfect, BC computed to be perfect at your velocity.
    4. Scope must do exactly the same thing every time, 1 click moves it exactly the same as the next. Most often this is not the case.
    5. Rifle needs to be of sufficient weight for you to be able to read your shots, or you need a spotter with good optics. The preferred system would be for the rifle and spotters spotting scope to have the same reticle so they can make accurate calls. Ideally a Horus so they can tell you where on the grid the bullet hit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    At best, on a good day and with the right conditions, I have shooting skills for a 500 yard shot. My weapons may be better than that but I would rather trust the other 500 yards to my hunting skills. It has worked for me so far!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd rather get close, and hold dead on. Works everytime.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Holding dead on from far away works pretty good too.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hardly the same thing. I can do it with open sights.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Muleys 24/7 I am shaking my finger at you...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Muleys 24/7 I am shaking my finger at you...
    Haha,I don't think there has been enough input yet............. kidding
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sorry new here, and kind of bone headed on forums.

I like it here a lot though. No sales pitches, no stalkers, no attitudes, nice outfit.