Hybrid View

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming Point Creep

I missed the boat about 15 years ago when Wyoming went from $15 sheep and moose points to the current $100-75 points.

I quit, I was pissed, I had financial obligations that were going on and $175 for points seemed like a bad deal at the time.

Being a Wyoming Native (though a Non-Resident) I felt like Wyoming G&G was kicking me in the sack and I didn't want to send them money.

So here we are X-ammount of years later and I realize that the staggering increased cost in sheep OTC tags in BC and Alberta is going to keep me from hunting them there.

I don't want a game ranch ram from Nebraska or Colorado. Even if I did they are $20,000.

And so here comes the question.

Will me moving back home to Wyoming next year and having just a couple of points ever lead to me shooting a ram? I am 37.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I believe that wyoming residents have a 16 or 17 point max, and if you don't draw you just maintain a points balance. If you were sending in for an area with 10 tags and 30 hunters with max points it would pretty much be random draw for those 30 applicants. So you could draw the first year you hit max points or if you are really unlucky you may have to wait an additional 20 years. It all depends on the area though, there are a few areas where it may not take max points to draw. I have heard of people waiting 30 plus years to draw a moose tag but they would have wanted to draw a certain area where there were more apllicants with max points than there were tags available, or they just simply did not stay on top of their points. Last year there were several area where people with 11 point had a 100% draw rate on type 1 tags.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Look some more at some of the old threads on this, there a few of them. Maybe the best thing to do is to look at Idaho. The odds for moose and sheep there are by far the best in the country. Yea, you are throwing $150 down the crapper to apply, but at least you have a decent chance of drawing. Especially for moose, I would think that with a little bit of luck and not applying for the top units, you might be able to draw within a couple years. Even the sheep tag odds aren't that bad. Of course you can only apply for one or the other though...

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    About 4 years ago (I think) I was told that a Non-res has a one in 5 chance of drawing a moose or goat tag. And a 1 in 15 chance of drawing a sheep tag.

Those are good odds.