Thread: Trapping?

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trapping?

Anyone run a trap line?

I had one here in Australia for fox, but they built a housing devleopment on the piece of property we were trapping foxes on and I had to shut it down. Got a couple, but then the bastard developers bought out the ranch and turned it into 1/8th acre lots.

I am surrounded by Capitol Territory National Park lands so I can't trap anywhere else close to the house.

I had a heck of a good beaver and mink line when I was a kid in Montana.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My Little Brother does!
    Can you handle the challenge.... hunt hard but safe!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    In another post I am trying to get a badger. I think I might try trapping. Also thinking of a trail cam to locate the exact hole he's in.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't know how Nevada's laws are, but I would use a conibear trap and Hawkbakers badger lure. And probably some dead prairie dogs for bait.

Just walk around in the prairie dog town and set conibears over all the active badger sized holes.

If you have to use a leg hold, get a damn big one #4 or about that.

I'd build box sets, pee post sets and dirt hole sets. If you haven't done it before then you need to youtube the 3 of them.

You will need a way to release domestic dogs, and anything that you aren't in season for. Or not allowed to take.

Key is to catch them by the pads of the foot not the leg.

Live traps are ok, you just need to make sure you don't touch them with your bare hands. Clean everything really well and use good scents.

Make sure you keep your traps away from public eye. For 2 reasons. Jackass PETA-RDS will steal your traps and any video cameras you have out. And other trappers or just kids being rascals that you didn't know about might also steal your traps.

A buddy of mine was followed by some PETARDS and they stole everything he had.

My 2 favorite trap supply outfits are http://www.fntpost.com/index.php and http://www.minntrapprod.com/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Edelweiss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I trapped muskrat and beaver when I was a kid, and used the money for school clothes and other necessities. Never got much into the dirt sets, just didn't like to put an animal into a trap that didn't kill it quickly. Snares are okay, got a red fox once. As far as trying for badger, a #2 double coil is plenty, but I would suggest baiting one of the holes in the area and using a 220 conibear. Just try to get it far enough in to reduce the chance of nailing a dog. Good luck!
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.