Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's in your bear bait?

Anyone planning a little spring bear baiting?

What do you use?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Hanes did a bear hunt over bait and used a propane stove with a bowl full of jello, marshmallows, syrup and chocolate syrup. They heated it up so the smoke would float through the woods and get to the bears. It seemed to work well. In ID we used apples and pears cookies and pretty much anything sweat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    In colorado we cant bait. The next best thing is to sit over a dead elk. Open up the belly and hope for the best!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can bait in Arkansas and our bears are quit good. My problem is the distance to the bait stand. About 120 miles one way.
    What I would like to do is keep the bait serviced year round. All the bears learn from that and cubs will keep coming as they get older. If you are baiting as an outfitter then a small amout of bait is best on a daily basis. One outfitter I know puts a huge amout of bait and the bear eats a huge amount and dont come back for days.
    I use what ever is available as bait, but grease poured on the ground around the bait will cause other bear to backtrack to the bait. It dont take long to have all the bear in the area coming to the bait on a regular basis. Make a place on the ground to see the track to determine the size and sex of the bear. A big boar will twist his front feet and the track shows this, I believe he is making some kind of statement. I am fascinated with bears and always trying to learn more about the. I read Dick Scorzafava's book the Radical Bear Hunter. He was responsibile for the Savage Bear Gun, another help has been one of my Apache friends, he calls them,'' old indian tricks."

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    A friend of mine in Alaska uses popped popcorn.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Have a few around my house also. We cant bait, and we dont, but a fresh watermellon seems to get them sniffing at the back door, literally! My apple orchard gets hit every night during the fall. We watched a couple bears eat 100+ apples in one evening. If you can handle the smell, which I cant, crab or lobster shells after a feast brings em in close without hesitation. They also dont seem to mind tomatoes, peaches,and pomegranites.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Hanes did a bear hunt over bait and used a propane stove with a bowl full of jello, marshmallows, syrup and chocolate syrup. They heated it up so the smoke would float through the woods and get to the bears. It seemed to work well. In ID we used apples and pears cookies and pretty much anything sweat.
    That is really interesting IKC. Years ago when I was in Alaska, a guy did the same thing but instead boiled a pot of honey with bacon in it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hunted last year in Western Arkansas (near Mena). Outfitter was using dog food slathered in molasses and powdered sugar. Put out a brick of dead shad later. Hunted 3 days, never saw anything, but stands were in the bottom and it rained on and off the whole time. Probably running ridge tops and staying drier with as wet as it was.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Have hunted bears over bait several times here in MN. Weve had the best success with burnt honey(if you know any honey producers), also honey burns work very well. Contact local bakeries and see if you can have the day old donuts, bread, rolls, etc, that they throw out. Other attractants that work well are liquid smoke, vanilla, and black anise. Sweet 16 horse feed is another weve used with success.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Back in the old days, when Oregon had a spring bear season with hounds and allowed baiting (Miss those days). Seemed like bears loved the following all piled up like a smorgasboard; Fish meal, old deep frying grease from restaurants mixed with dog food, donuts, sweet cob mix, and sweet corn.

Forgot to mention the marshmellows with honey dripped on them. They were stuck in the tree limbs, so they would spend some time eating them.
    Last edited by bigshot; 04-20-2012 at 11:04 PM.