Thread: Longbow?

Hybrid View

Banned
    Thanks

Longbow?

I'm going to get into traditional bow hunting. Mostly for deer. Without spending a ton of money i've picked the Martin Savannah. For just deer..45#or 50#? I'm almost 70, so I don't want to wipe out my shoulders.

Good, or bad choice?

Banned
    Thanks
    Not sure if no response means the bow is no good, or you just don't know?

Anyway, with more research I decided to go with a custom made Bama Bow.

Thanks
    ya old hunter i personally have no experience in the traditional bow world and couldnt offer any good advice but im sure someone on here can

Thanks
    I don't have a whole lot of advice on traditional equipment but I have shot with a buddy a lot. He has a Bear supermag with a 55# draw weight. He uses it for elk, deer, and anything you can think of when one is bored. His advice to me was to get something you can shoot comfortably and consistent. Also what type of condition are you in? Do you have a bad shoulder or are you just trying to prevent shoulder injury? If weight is an issue stick with the 45#, it will be comfortable and you will shoot more consistent.
    Joe Buttice
    Twisted Addiction
    Oregon State University
    Forest Management
    Bennett Lumber Products Inc.
    Lumber Salesman

Banned
    Thanks
    I'm 69, and have had to switch to shooting a gun left handed due to losing the sight of my right eye. I'm right handed, and that wasn't to bad, but pulling a bow left handed will be on my weak side. Plus, because of my age I get injuries pretty easy.. I'm just trying to prevent an injury.

I just found out there's an archery club range 10 miles away with a nice 3D range. I'm thinking of just doing the competition shooting with the bow, and continue use my gun for hunting. I could probably use an even lighter bow for target shooting. It will teach me to shoot, and build up the muscles I need for a bow. Then I can move into a heavier bow for hunting later on.