Thread: Wyoming Unit 70

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming Unit 70

I'm planning a hunt on a Region D tag for this fall and was looking mostly in Unit 70. I know that that the Shirley Mountains seem to be a spot talked about quite a bit. But looking at some maps I was interested in the Eastern edge of the Seminoe Mountains, East of the reservior on the Western side of the unit. Can anyone give me some insights about this area for Mule Deer?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am also looking at this area for this deer season. My son and I put in for this area for pronghorn and mule deer as our second choice. I don't know why we would not draw the tags with our points. I was also focusing on Shirley Mountain but I need more information on where to start too. I have hunted east and west of that location but an going into this area blind. I know it's not a trophy area, but I just want to give my son a nice hunt for his high school graduation before he heads off to college.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've hunted this area for elk for 20 years. I can tell you that it is a very popular area with high hunting pressure. There is a lot of private land here that is outfitted. The Q Creek Ranch owns almost all of the private land and does NOT allow any access unless you are paying full price. The Mtn does hold some decent bucks and 2 years ago a 180+ was taken off the southwest end of the mtn. The area does open Oct. 1 for elk so you'll have 2 full weeks of rifle elk hunters stirring up the deer prior to the opening for deer. Just a heads up. Not trying to scare you away from this area as it does hold some nice bucks but the quality of the hunt can be a little lower than desired. Good Luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks a lot for the information. I did pick up the Region D tag as a second choice so I'll be heading that way come October.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wife and i are headed out for a combo hunt in a few weeks. Like several others, we just want to enjoy the country and look for a modest buck. I am considering accessing remote areas by water. Any thoughts of whether or not that is just gonna make me look like an eastern OOS jackleg....?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My son and I drew our deer region D deer tags but only a doe antelope tag for him. I don't like heading into an area blind like this and the hunting reports on the area seem poor. Oh well, I promised him his first mule deer hunt and maybe we can find him something decent to take home with some luck. I am getting a little worried about the weather too. No matter what we'll have a good time and I wish the rest of you good luck.