Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The leupold I had was an RX 800. I really have nothing good to say about it. It was really no better then my old bushnell as far as range. When I returned the RX cabelas had a whole pile of them in the bargain cave.............bad sign..... I realize the leica is over budget (200 for the 1000) but Im a firm believer that you will never regret spending a bit more for better quality on any optics. A range finder that wont read when you need it too is very frustrating.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with Musket, spend as much as you can afford on optics.

Schmidt Bender spends a lot on ink with the quote " only a rich man can afford a cheap scope".

I tend to agree, I used to tell people that there rifle scope should cost at least as much as the rifle. Now that rifles have gone up a bit, I think the minimum on a rifle scope for every day shooting (3-9 or 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 1 inch) should be $500, and $850 for a 30mm tube, with more money being better.

For binoculars I think $500 is ok, $1000 is better and $2500 is better still.

The best high end range finders are $650-1400. Kind of thinking you ought to at least be in the $650 mark.

Would you sacrifice your hunt to saving $200 on glass?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm in the same boat looking for a new rangefinder for high country archery use. I have heard good things about the newLeupold withTBR mentioned above. I have also looked at the Nikon Riflehunter 550 and 1000. I understand the new Vortex rangefinder is supposed to be pretty nice. However, it won't be out until May. I may wait and check out the Vortex before making my purchase.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am holding out for the new Leica that is coming out this summer. It is suposidaly going to have the angle compensation in it from what I have heard.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I have always felt Leupold made excellent scopes, but I owned one of the first Leupold angle compensating rangefinders and the thing drove me crazy. I never knew if it was in the right mode setting. The new ones are likely much better, but that experience really soured me on the Leupold rangefinders.

I have had very good experience with Bushnell's but I have used them primarily for shorter ranges (bowhunting). The Bushnells I have had were always reliable and easy to use, but I really only have field experience with them for bowhunting.

I owned two Leica's I used extensively in rifle hunting and they were both excellent and would certainly do what you are looking for. I sold them this year and applied the money towards ranging binoculars. The Leica's also have very good resale value on eBay.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would agree that for the most part, Leupold makes sub parr equipment as a generalization towards what is offered on the free market... Previously, I personally wouldn't touch anything they made with a 10 foot pole, until I purchased the TBR 1000 DNA... I only bought it after my buddy Travis let me use his and I liked it enough to make the switch! The angle compensation makes it very attractive... Everything in the high country is deceiving... I simply couldn't guess angles and yardages effectively enough on a consistent basis to ignore what these impressive little gagets can do in regards to gaining the upper edge. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    The leupold I had was an RX 800. I really have nothing good to say about it. It was really no better then my old bushnell as far as range. When I returned the RX cabelas had a whole pile of them in the bargain cave.............bad sign..... I realize the leica is over budget (200 for the 1000) but Im a firm believer that you will never regret spending a bit more for better quality on any optics. A range finder that wont read when you need it too is very frustrating.
    "This is A Way of Life"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I use the bushnell 1500 and is in your price range with no problums at 450.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Brother and buddy have an RX1000 and they are junk. I wouldn't trust it for a reliable 450yd RF. I had a Leica CRF 1200 (3 of them actually). They'd probably be reliable for 450 or so, but not much more than that. They also sucked IMO. 1200yd RF my butt. Way overpriced!!!

For a 450yd and under RF, I'd look at the Nikon Riflehunter 1000. They are about $350ish, and from what I've read, appear to be pretty decent. I may pick one up for a bow hunting RF and go a different direction for rifle hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I own a Nikon Monarch 800 and has ranged deer and elk out to 650 yards. I'm thinking about getting the Nikon Monarch 1200, from what I've been hearing its top notch.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the bushnell 1000 arc. Thats the only bushnell product I own, I have had good results out of it. A few of my buddys have the leupold ones and when we use them side by side, we get the same ranges with in a yard or so.

If I remember correctly......I have got ranges out to 600 yards on a non-reflective targets.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club