Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

elk hunting from far east

looking to joing someone or group on a diy elk hunt in col. for 2013 . from south carolina and ready to head west .

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Brad,

Good luck on finding someone.

The biggest problem with inviting folks from out of state to hunt with us in the West is we get burned.

Public land is just that, but we make a living in the West and most people don't want to share their spots anymore than they already do.

Here are some examples.

We used to hunt an area near Dubois Wyoming that was fantastic for elk, we had been set up on this spring for almost 30 years as a family. The spring gave us good water for the horses that we brought in, and a ton of brook trout to supliment our elk camp dinners. My uncle brought some business partners one time, the guy was from Minnesota and he brought his entire family (all 5 brothers), 5 RVs, and set up a semi-perminant camp for 3 weeks. Basically edged us out of a spot we had been in for 30 years. Then the BLM, Forest Service and Game and Fish opened the area up for four-wheelers. Eventually all these MN brothers brought their friends and so on and now the place is crawling with orange. As a family we have several horses, so we moved into the wilderness area, where the non-res can't legally go. But of course they do.

I invited one of the guys I was in the military with from Texas to come up and hunt deer and elk on my grand parents ranch in Montana before they sold it. We also hunted some forest service areas behind the ranch, that are a bear cat to access without horses, unless you drove through our ranch. This guy basically did the same thing, brought every one he was related to and we even had some trespass issues. Got really heated.

Good luck hunting the West. There is plenty of room out here for everyone, and I am not saying there isn't. Thought it is shrinking every day.

It is important to remember that residents of Western states are lucky to be able to take 1 or 2 big game animals a year based on the drawings. And most Eastern states have higher game numbers over all allowing for takes of 4-5 game animals. So most Western hunters are going to give out a free-ticket to anything they hold dear.

If you are serious about hunting the West do it this way.

1. Subscribe to Eastmans Journal and the Garth Carter's Hunting Fool to get good details on where to apply.
    2. Buy BLM and Forest Service 1 to 1000 maps of the areas so you don't trespass on private property.
    3. Buy Delorme State maps so you can do the same as above over a greater area.
    4. Come out in the Summer time on a camp/fishing trip and do some scouting and maybe some varmint shooting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    If its your first time out, I'd recommend an outfitter, especially since your chasing elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    I agree with buckbull. Use an outfitter. At least to start out with.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Im with Edelweiss. Cant expect someone to invite you to come hunt with them with out knowing you or anything about you. You either need to go with an outfitter or research it and go on your own.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    bg im planning on going to co either 2013 or 14. im from md and started hunting on my own out west in 2009. i went on two guided hunts before i started doing it on myself. im still learning but you can tag along with us as long as you dont mind helping us pack out. lol. pm me and ill give you more info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am from SC and just drew a tag for colorado this September. I doubt I will be able go more than once ever 2 or 3 years so count me out for 2013, but I will be glad to share my experiences, lessons learned, etc. when I get back from the trip this fall.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    He should have joined into some conversation for awhile before making a post like his first one. Let us get to know him first.

Not sure how serious he was? No posts since.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Agreed, kind of a bad way to say hello on the forum!
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Am I the only one that saw the thread title, and thought the member was going to be from China?