Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunting

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    Responsible-Having an obligation to do something as part of a job or role.

Man- An adult human male.

I know the dictionary doesn't spell it out but a responsible man doesn't critize other sportsman with alike beliefs and thoughts for using other applicable means of weapons and styles to take big game. It may spell it out in the book of common sense but I don't have that book with me at the moment.
    Responsible: An obligation to do something? You mean like not wound an animal, right?

I quit bowhunting because the more I did it, the more I could see it was just a matter of time before I screwed things up and wounded and lost an animal. I was a traditional Archer, but it wasn't about that, it was about spending time outdoors.

I know a lot of rifle hunters that don't practice very much, and get through a lot of seasons without wounding an animal. They can get away with it, technology (albeit from the 1850s) is on their side.

With Archery the amount of practice and personal responsibility a guy has to have is huge. I am tired of watching archers wound animals on TV, only to find them 3 days later. That animal suffered, and it shows a huge sense of irresponsibility on the part of the hunter that he or she shot at the animal in the first place if they didn't have a 90% chance of killing the animal.

Responsibility is all about obligation, obligation to the animal that it doesn't suffer, responsibility to the hunting community that we are not portrayed as slobs, and more than anything else personal responsibility to ourselves that when someone shouldn't be bowhunting they aren't allowed to.

Modern Bowhunting is not the "Zen of Hunting", it's not pure, considering that crossbows have been on this planet for fully 500 years longer than compounds, it's not even traditional. I have a lot of respect for archers that don recurves and longbows, but everyone needs to take a step back and rethink what is going on here.

The Archery community seems to think it is ok to wound and loose an animal, and that is a complete 180 from responsible game management.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This has nowhere to go but downhill guys.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    Responsible: An obligation to do something? You mean like not wound an animal, right?

I quit bowhunting because the more I did it, the more I could see it was just a matter of time before I screwed things up and wounded and lost an animal. I was a traditional Archer, but it wasn't about that, it was about spending time outdoors.

I know a lot of rifle hunters that don't practice very much, and get through a lot of seasons without wounding an animal. They can get away with it, technology (albeit from the 1850s) is on their side.

With Archery the amount of practice and personal responsibility a guy has to have is huge. I am tired of watching archers wound animals on TV, only to find them 3 days later. That animal suffered, and it shows a huge sense of irresponsibility on the part of the hunter that he or she shot at the animal in the first place if they didn't have a 90% chance of killing the animal.

Responsibility is all about obligation, obligation to the animal that it doesn't suffer, responsibility to the hunting community that we are not portrayed as slobs, and more than anything else personal responsibility to ourselves that when someone shouldn't be bowhunting they aren't allowed to.

Modern Bowhunting is not the "Zen of Hunting", it's not pure, considering that crossbows have been on this planet for fully 500 years longer than compounds, it's not even traditional. I have a lot of respect for archers that don recurves and longbows, but everyone needs to take a step back and rethink what is going on here.

The Archery community seems to think it is ok to wound and loose an animal, and that is a complete 180 from responsible game management.
    If you guys want to have a pissing match, start your own thread or send each other PM's.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Agreed. Didnt think my little crack at humor would get people so riled up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    You just have to ignore him, hard as it seems. He was just booted of another forum and this post of his looks like it was just copied and pasted to the letter. Not worth the trouble! The folks running that one ran him off.
    David

Jon Boy just to clarify, I did not even see your post. I was commenting on that other person's post that kind of started this avalanche.
    David
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My buddies ram in upper Rock Creek. 39 1/2 x 40 1/2 181 2/8 B&C It was an awesome hunt and he was wonderful eating.

Taken from the herd near Anaconda a few years back. Scores over 200 B&C and is 46" x 49" Yes that is correct, he is almost 50" in length on his long side! He flares out like a Dall or Marco Polo ram and is beautiful.

Hope you like. I want to go!
    David
    Last edited by 6mm Remington; 04-17-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mm Remington View Post
    You just have to ignore him, hard as it seems. He was just booted of another forum and this post of his looks like it was just copied and pasted to the letter. Not worth the trouble! The folks running that one ran him off.
    David

Jon Boy just to clarify, I did not even see your post. I was commenting on that other person's post that kind of started this avalanche.
    David
    Where was I booted from?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    6mm, now we're talking! Way to turn this thread around in a hurry. This is what the big draw on sheep is all about, Congrats

Thanks
    Congratulations
    6mm, awsome sheep! I can only dream of the day I get the sheep hunt of a lifetime.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Sorry guys. I should have not of fueled the fire and big apology to gatheringsheds. Great thread.