Thread: 12A and 12B

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

12A and 12B

I am a little behind in the points game, but have been putting in for Unit 12. I have an old photo of my grandfather hunting the Kaibab in the late 40's after he got back from WW2 and have always wanted to hunt there. I drove through in early September a few years ago, and hung out a day and scouted deer. I saw quite a few bucks, no big ones though. Unfortunately I think I will be about 60-65 years old (I am 48 now) before I have a shot at a late tag.

Looking at the map for 12B it doesn't show a distinction for East and West, but you apply for either East or West, is that correct?

What are the early hunts like in that unit? Like I said, I saw deer in there early, but assume the big boys aren't in the country at this time (or tough to find). For someone like me that just wants to hunt the area, is an early hunt worth burning the points or should I wait another 10 years?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 3 Posts
    Well, I've hunted the Bab' for well over 30 years (archery) and, in my opinion, it is stable but in trouble. It's not even close to what it used to be like in the 80's, 60's, etc.....or when your grandfather hunted it. Overall deer numbers on the plateau extremely low, and mature bucks are far fewer than in years past. Now having said that, a few nice bucks are killed every year, but there are a just a handful. Most 4x4 bucks that people are killing up there are 130-150" type bucks........not a mature deer for up there.

I know a few rifle guys that have been successful in the early hunts. They prefer it, as they can hunt on top of the plateau in areas that represent summer range. If you do a few scouting trips up there and have an idea of what caliber buck you'll settle for, you could have a good hunt up there. I imagine that early hunt is gorgeous in terms of aspen colors.

I scout it every summer in areas I've arrowed bucks over the years. Where I would see 5-6 bucks that would score over 180" in years past.......I may now see one buck that will score over 165". JMO
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BOHNTR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you BOHNTR! Can you explain the East/West divide for 12B? It doesn't show up on the hunt area map.
    Thanks, Chad

Thanks
    Congratulations
    To my knowledge, 12B is not divided.......just 12A. The general dividing line for 12AW and 12AE is Hwy 67.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BOHNTR View Post
    To my knowledge, 12B is not divided.......just 12A. The general dividing line for 12AW and 12AE is Hwy 67.
    The 2012 regs list hunt 1016 and 1017 as 12B and hunts 1018 and 1019 as 12B west. I just don't see a dividing line on the hunt area map. Curious.

here is a link:
    http://www.azgfd.gov/regs/mainregs.pdf

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Looks like they split it this year......not sure why, as it has a very low success rate. I would look elsewhere, IMO. However, here is the boundary description for 12BW:

12B West Hunt Unit - that portion of Unit 12B beginning
    at the Arizona-Utah Stateline and BLM
    Rd. 1065; south on BLM 1065 to U.S. Hwy 89A;
    west on U.S. Hwy 89A to Kaibab National Forest
    boundary; north then west then south on the Kaibab
    National Forest boundary to Kanab Creek;
    north on Kanab Creek to the Arizona-Utah Stateline;
    east on the Arizona-Utah Stateline to BLM
    BOHNTR )))----------->