Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

All around big game hunting rifle

Hey guys, in the market for an all around western big game hunting rifle. Looking at either a 30-06 or 270. Anyone have a preference or other ideas??? Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jay, I am actually looking for the exact same thing now and I have been researching it for far too long. Being out of college for only a few years and having just recently gotten married, money isn't exactly easy to come by right now. As such I have been looking for one gun that will do just about everything for a few years until I can afford to expand my collection for more specific purposes.

As far as caliber, most people are going to say that for an all around big game gun you will want something with more horsepower than a 270 or 30-06. I am not one of those people. I have pretty much settled on the 30-06 because as long as you hit your target in the right spot, it is more than capable of taking down all of the big game the west has to offer and it will do it with considerably less recoil than any of the massive magnums out there. The milder recoil is important to me because I also plan to spend a lot of time at the range working up good handholds and just plain having fun shooting.

For a specific rifle I'm pretty sure that I will be going with a Remington 700 CDL SF. I have always been partial to the smooth model 700 action and with the nice walnut stock and stainless fluted barrel, its hard to find a much better looking rifle in my opinion. I have looked into many other rifles both more and less expensive as well. Kimber makes some really nice stuff for just a little more money. I put some serious consideration into their model 84L but decided it just wasn't worth the difference in money for me. On the other side of the scale is the Savage Weather Worrier series. They are a really nice, accurate and affordable rifle but I personally decided I wanted something with just a little more class.

I could go on and on about this but hopefully this will get you started.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have personally been using a 300 Win Mag since I was 16 and really like it. It has plenty of knock down power for anything on the continent and doesn't damage too much meat even on antelope, if you are careful about shot placement and shoot a good bullet that doesn't fragment. I shot my first elk with my dad's 270 but I personally feel that it is a little light for something like moose. The 30-06 is a great all around caliber as is the 7 mag. I think if I was going to buy a new hunting rifle right now I would go with a 300 WSM. In his book Public Land Mulies, David Long recommends the 30-378 Weatherby Mag as the one of the flattest shooting rifles available. Just my 2 cents, good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's about like asking Ford or Chevy, Blue or Green. I'm in with 30'06 better for larger game and you can find the ammo anywhere. The 270 is like a Chevy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    yeah, i'm partial to the 30-06 myself but the more people i ask, seems like alot of em' are into the 270...from the research i've done it does seem like it's all about preference. Euww, and i thought the 270 was like a ford, lol.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How about a .300 RUM
    Brian
    Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
    www.blueskieshunting.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    brian, is that a 300 rem. ultra mag? i have a win. 300 wsm and have found that at times seems to have too much velocity.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Then you probably wouldn't like the 300 Remington Ultra Mag

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Right now I shoot a .280 Rem. It works great for the open country we hunt in Wyoming for mule deer and antelope and has taken down a bull elk here in Washington. Have you looked at the WSM? Granted the ammo isn't as easy to come by, but if you reload it shouldn't be to much of an issue. My next gun is going to be a .270 WSM, .277 bullet with a little more umph behind it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    good stuff guys, keep it coming.