Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My 2 cents: I have a .270 Winchester and have killed every one of my big game with it. A nice Pronghorn Buck, 1 5x5 bull, 1 Raghorn bull, a 6x6 bull (New Mexico), and 4 Mule Deer Bucks, and a lot of Mule Deer and Whitetail does. I had the chance to buy a 300 WSM and a 300 Winchester Mag, but bought another .270 Winchester in the Winchester Model 70 Extreme, with a new Nikon Monarch BDC Scope. I gave my Ruger .270 Winchester to my brother so he can start hunting again. What can I say? I don't reload, but am partial to the .270 Winchester and have killed all of my animals with one. I suppose if I shot a .30-06 Springfield, I would be saying the same thing. It's all about what you're comfortable with and how good you shoot. Know your gun and limitations (or extremes), and you'll be a great rifle hunter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 2 Posts
    From all of this i think its between the 7 mag, 30-06, and the 270. i think i'm going to check into that savage you mentioned also elkoholic307. i think alot of it has to do with what fits you best as a shooter like rezavoirdog mentioned. Does anyone know what the mule deer hunt winners were shooting on the last episode of eastmans?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Can we get some input from the eastman's team????

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not sure on the caliber but I want to say 300 WSM Savage. I have a 111 30'06 that is my spare/throw in the truck gun and it shoots great. The 7mm is a great caliber but depending on what you want to do with it you may still be better off with the other two based on ammunition cost and availability. Check out a ballistic calculator like this one to see what the real difference is in ranges you plan on hunting at. http://www.winchester.com/LEARNING-C...alculator.aspx
    With a 100 yard zero at 300 yards the '06 will shoot about 3.6 inches lower than the 7 Mag and produce about 135 ft lbs less energy. Not much when you figure it will cost 30% more to shoot the 7mm and ammunition is not always a local gas station or small town supermarket away. That being said I have the '06 for a backup/extra but I shoot hand loaded 7mm WSM when I'm hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just remembered you said you had a 300 WSM already. The difference between the 7mm Mag and a 300 WSM is minimal in terms of having to much velocity as you posted earlier. I would think your 300 would be as good as any for hunting western big game but if you are looking for a spare gun for those horse wreck, slip and fall broken scope mishaps then it comes down to what you want. I picked the '06 because I had a hard time finding another 7mm WSM in my price range and I already had an old '06 and all the stuff to reload it. I got the gun at a good price, under $400 with the accu trigger and it's cheaper to shoot when I want to go soften my shoulder up. Also if I remember correctly Savage is an Eastman's sponsor. That had no bearing on my purchase but it sounds like that may be what you are looking for.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great info T43! When i purchased my 300WSM, i thought the same thing but its kinda been hit or miss with that gun. My brother also has one along with a couple other friends that i can think of right off hand, and they seem to have similar feelings about it. (could also be operator error)lol. I have had a couple animals get away and have killed a dozen with it so i really don't know what to think...it could also be the loads, i was shooting the 150 grain winchester supremes and the 165 grain federal trophy bonded bullet, both higher quality factory loads IMO. Bullet placement has alot to do with it too, but its nice to know your shooting a firearm that is more forgiving than the rest.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've done a lot of looking at the 300 WSM (maybe this fall). I think a 180 Grain Winchester XP3 would be well suited for pretty much everything.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jay,I'd go with the 270 Win I've been using one for the last 5 years{and my grandpa use one in his 30 year huntseasons} and ever thing I have killed in that time has been 1 shot and that is it for my big game hunts anything from 25 yards to 750 yards {I dont recommend this right out of the gate been shooting alot}and use a 130 gain bullet.
    Good luck!
    " Hunt hard but be safe!"
    Can you handle the challenge.... hunt hard but safe!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    .300 RUM with a muzzle break. It has the recoil of a 270/.30-06.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    .300 RUM with a muzzle break? Trade-off: recoil of .270/.30-06 for the muzzle blast of a bazooka!
    My heart belongs to the land my people, the Northern Cheyenne have fought and died for.