Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Great info T43! When i purchased my 300WSM, i thought the same thing but its kinda been hit or miss with that gun. My brother also has one along with a couple other friends that i can think of right off hand, and they seem to have similar feelings about it. (could also be operator error)lol. I have had a couple animals get away and have killed a dozen with it so i really don't know what to think...it could also be the loads, i was shooting the 150 grain winchester supremes and the 165 grain federal trophy bonded bullet, both higher quality factory loads IMO. Bullet placement has alot to do with it too, but its nice to know your shooting a firearm that is more forgiving than the rest.
    No offense, but shot placement is everything. The second most important part is bullet construction. The 300WSM is already a 'forgiving' caliber compared to most, but is not reaching it's fullest potential if you're not using premium bullets.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    300 RUM is a great gun if you don't mind spending 4 times as much on ammo if you can find it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    No offense, but shot placement is everything. The second most important part is bullet construction. The 300WSM is already a 'forgiving' caliber compared to most, but is not reaching it's fullest potential if you're not using premium bullets.
    Non taken, i'll be the first to tell you that shot placement is everything as i mentioned earlier. The 300 WSM is more than capable but what i've noticed is because of the velocity of the rifle in the 200 yds and under shots that we usually take around here in NM, they fly right thru. I agree with you saying the bullets aren't reaching full potential. What ammo do you shot or do you load your own? Shorter range shots is the main reason for downgrading to a 30-06 or 270.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    Non taken, i'll be the first to tell you that shot placement is everything but lets face it, not every bullet lands exactly where you aim for whatever reason. What i'm saying is that for the 200 yds and less shooting that we do 90% of the time here in NM, the 300 WSM in my experience has had too much velocity, and seems like the bullet just flies right thru, and doesn't hit as hard as you would expect, agreeing with your previous statement about the bullet not reaching its full potential. Maybe its the load i'm shooting. This is the reason i'm considering 30-06 or 270. Not necesarily better but something smaller with similar knock down. Elkoholic, what ammo do you shoot or do you load your own?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    sorry bout the double reply, having computer problems.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 1 Post
    I load my own. I use Barnes TTSX, Nosler Accubonds, Hornady SST and the Berger VLD.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would say the 30-06, bigger bullets are heavy hitters, and they handle the wind better. The only thing I ever shot witg 270 was a Bull caribou at 70 yrds and it was double lunged, and it went about 40 yrds and layed down like a bow shot. My buddy Shot his caribou wth the 06 and the bull dropped on the spot the wound channel was massive.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    cool, thanks for the input buckeye

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a taken a lot of bucks with my 35 Remington. I recently got a Ruger No. 1 270 and it's a great shooting rifle too. I'm in California, so the bucks are smaller than the monster Mule deer found in other states. The 35 and 270 seem to always do the trick, but like everyone else has mention shot placement is everything.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I really like my 7 mag but it pounds my shoulder to much for a day of shooting. Thats why I picked up the 7-08 so I can put more shoulder time behind the rifle. For a all around rifle to shoot anything I would do a 7 mag or a 300.