Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have just started looking for a big game gun. I would like one that I can carry in my saddle scabbard. I have been drawn to Marlin's 45-70 cowboy with the 26" barrel. I like the lever action. I was wondering if anyone had an idea on the effective distance on this gun?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45-70

here's some info on the 45-70, i've never shot one...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by adlayne View Post
    I have just started looking for a big game gun. I would like one that I can carry in my saddle scabbard. I have been drawn to Marlin's 45-70 cowboy with the 26" barrel. I like the lever action. I was wondering if anyone had an idea on the effective distance on this gun?
    I had that gun and sold it last year, you should look at one and play with it before you buy it. Mine was great out to 200 yards, fun to shoot and good looking. The biggest downfall was the length. I realized after buying mine that it was too long for what I wanted. I didn't like the way it rode on my saddle, it was heavy to pack around on a sling (half a box of 45-70 in the tube weighs a lot after a few hours) and I finally decided as much as I liked shooting it at the range and having it to look at it was not a practical gun for the field. I hate selling guns but I decided since I had another 45-70 in the safe that I take out regularly and I was in want of a good backup hunting rifle that I could take with me in my pack I so I sold it. The guy who bought it is a buddy of mine that I work with and he agreed to give me first chance if he ever decides he wants to get rid of it. As far as "All around big game hunting rifle" I would say no. The shorter stainless guide gun is much better for the "All around" category.

On a side note if you do decide to go with the 45-70 Cowboy look closely at the dovetail that holds the rear site. I had a hard time sighting mine in without drifting the front site way over. I finally realized that the dovetail for the rear was cut in at a slight angle and caused the rear sight to angle to one side. I contacted Marlin and was sent a rear sight that helped with the problem. I got the gun zeroed but at almost $2.00 a round it was a little spendy. I shoot reloads out of my other 45-70 and they shot well out of my cowboy gun but I used factory stuff to zero it in.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well guys after all the discussion on rifles, i ended up with a Browning x-bolt 30-06. I haven't shot it yet, still have to find the right scope now...any ideas? I want to thank everyone that participated in my thread, everyones knowledge and opinions are greatly appreciated and were a great help on making my decision! Now lets talk about scopes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What made you choose the 30-06?
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've always liked the 30-06. I wanted something with less velocity but with the power to shoot under 3-4 hundred yards. I also bought a browning 7 mag off my dad for the longer shot areas. But the 30-06 i bought brand new from a local gun shop on sale so i think between the 2, i should be set...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jay that sounds like a good choice you made. The 30-06 in my opinion is a great cartridge! I shoot nothing but 165 gr. Accubonds or Partitions in mine. You will be surprised that with good handloads, it is everything that the 7mm magnum is.

Scopes- hmmmm I'm very partial to Leupolds and a 3.5-10x40mm would be a great scope as would a 4.5-14x40mm. I like the fixed power scopes myself and my favorite is the 6x42mm Leupold. I've never felt handicapped ever.........with a fixed power scope while hunting. I guess I should through one more in there that's a good one too is the 2.5-8x36mm Leupold. For the distances you are talking about it would be fantastic and it's more compact and lighter than the three I mentioned. Oh the choices! Good luck.
    David
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    David, thanks for the info...Couple of questions-I don't have the equipment to load my own ammo. What's a good off the shelf bullet to consider in your opinion? I've also been partial to Leupold myself but am shopping around a little for this one. Theres many great products out there now so who knows, open to suggestions.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jay you can buy factory Federal or Nosler ammunition loaded with either the 165 gr. Partition or Accubond and they both are a great bullet. My choice would be one of those and it would depend on which one my rifle shot better with.

A couple of more scopes to consider is a 4x Leupold or a 6x36mm Leupold. Two more very good scopes. My 6mm Remington has the 6x42 on it, the 30-06 has the 4x Leupold, and my wifes 25-06 has the 6x36mm Leupold on her rifle. They are very good solid scopes and I've never had any issues with any of them. Now my son's 6mm has a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle and he loves it. I too am even warming up to it. The B&C reticle is easy and fast to use and the extra magnification can be helpful sometimes, yet the scope is not overly large and heavy.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for the info David, i have shot the Federals before and liked them. I'll give em a try.