Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yeah i've heard alot of good things about the 7 mm as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would go with Browing and the 30-06. Ammo cost on the belteds is too much compared to the 30-06. I do have Browning A-bolts and they are 1/2 in guns at 100yds. I couldn't get ride of the Win model 70 fast enough to suit me. The safety was noisy and it would not shoot as acurate as the a-bolts. My Brownings have the boss systems and that works. I don't own a 30-06, I shoot the 7mm with 160 Accubonds and 168 Bergers. I use the 243wssm for deer and the Rem 700 22-250 for coyotes, etc. One all around gun would be 30-06 for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    xtreme, what does that boss system do? Also i know the a bolts are more expensive than the x bolts but whats the difference? Do you load your own ammo?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the BOSS system on my 300 Win Mag and I think it really improves the accuracy of your rifle. I don't claim to understand exactly how it works but I think it basically takes the vibrations out of your barrel by acting as a weight. It is adjustable to the specific grain of bullet you are shooting and you can fine tune it from there. I shot 3 rounds at 200 yards the other day at the range and 2 of them were overlapping and the other was within a 1/2". This was with cheap Winchester Super X ammo, the hand loads I just started shooting seem even better but I haven't shot them out past 100 yards yet. The BOSS system also significantly reduces recoil, I would say my 300 has less recoil than my dad's 270, but it also significantly increases the noise of the rifle. I shot 3 quick shots at a cow elk the first year I had the gun and it really rang my bell, my ears were ringing the rest of the day.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just found this with a quick google search, explains a lot better than I did on what the BOSS really does.
    http://www.hk94.com/hk/topic/7738-wi...r-boss-system/

How the BOSS™ Works

Barrel vibrations are the primary cause of rifle inaccuracy. Every time a rifle is fired, barrel vibrations are set in motion. These vibrations occur in all directions, even back and forth along the axis of the barrel. They are influenced by many factors such as bullet type, bullet weight, primers, different powders and even barrel configurations.

The BOSS (Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System) is an adjustable weight that alters rifle barrel vibrations. By adjusting the weight on the BOSS, you can tune your rifle to specific ammunition, allowing a bullet to consistently exit the rifle muzzle at the optimum point in barrel vibration. At this optimum point, either at the peak or valley of a vibration wave, the rifle barrel is momentarily motionless. The suggested “sweet spots” (found on a separate sheet supplied with this manual) are the starting points for determining the optimum accuracy of your BOSS-equipped Model 70. Once the true “sweet spot” is determined for a given ammunition, your rifle will consistently deliver extraordinarily tight groups. The BOSS allows you to tune your rifle to your ammunition to get the optimum accuracy for all available factory loads.

When adjusted to the “sweet spot,” the BOSS will compensate for slight deviations in ammunition velocity. The BOSS will not, however, compensate for poor shooting or flyers caused by low quality bullets and ammunition.

To obtain the highest level of accuracy from your rifle it is recommended that the rifle bore be cleaned every 25 to 30 rounds. See “cleaning the rifle bore” section of this booklet for cleaning procedures.

Muzzle Brake Feature

The unique exhaust hole pattern on the BOSS provides considerable recoil reduction. Recoil reduction of the BOSS ranges from 30% to 50% — depending on caliber, weight of rifle, etc.

You will experience an increase in noise and concussion (muzzle blast) when a BOSS equipped rifle is fired. Hearing protectors (shooting ear plugs or muffs) should always be worn to guard against hearing damage when shooting a BOSS equipped rifle. Wear shooting glasses to protect your eyes from flying particles. Always keep a safe distance between the muzzle of your firearm and any persons nearby, as muzzle blast, debris and ejecting shells could inflict serious injury.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jay the x bolt probably has a better trigger than the a bolt, I have not researched it very much since I will be using the a bolt anyway. Trigger could be softer on my guns.
    The reason they are louder is the brake, I have tried replacing the brake with a CR which decreases the noise but now I am back to using the brake and ear protection, which you should use anyway. You can find how to use the boss on line. When you have it all done you can switch ammo and still have an accurate round.
    One thing hasn't been mentioned is glass, and that may be a big part of a finished hunting gun.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    elktracker, thanks for the input man. So i guess its worth it to go with a boss system on it...

xtreme, good point...I have always had Leupold scopes on my rifles but am actually considering a nikon monarch with the BDC reticle for this one. Any input??? I am curious about the new redfield line. They've always had good products for the price, but not sure on the new stuff.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Either way would be okay. I looked through an old Lepould VX II and a Monarch at dusk tonight and maybe the Monarch was a little better. Not a fair comparison. The VX II is about a $100 less and will work well, but the Monarch starts at 2.5 and goes to 10. Choice would be because of money. I have a VX-7 on one of the 7mm and a Z5 on the 243 wssm, a lot more money but I used a VX II for years, as a matter of fact I made a 467yd shot on a mule deer in Ne. with it. I hope this helps you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    7 mag is a great all around cartridge and a Savage Weather Warrior is awfully hard to beat, especially for the price.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would personally prefer either the 7 mag or any of the WSM calibers to the 270 or 30-06 for an all-around western rifle. I have a 270 and a 30-06, both are great rounds and will take any game with a well placed shot. My reasoning for the magnums is that they will deliver a higher BC bullet at higher velocity, making long range or windy day hits easier. I picked the magnums I did because they have adequate power for elk with similar recoil to a 30-06. The bigger 300 and 338 magnums are great rifles, just more recoil than I want to deal with. I use a 270WSM A-bolt for deer and will be getting an A-bolt 300WSM before my next elk hunt. The 300 will get a limbsaver pad and muzzle brake.