Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buffalo hunt

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

buffalo hunt

I need some general info. help. I got lucky and I just drew a cow buffalo tag for an indian reservation. It happens anytime I want to from Sept. to up untill Christmas. It is in a large pasture/pen, about 3000 acres. It should be a 100 yard shot at most.

Has anyone done this type of hunt ( I will use the term "hunt" very loosely) ? I am pretty sure I want to wait untill as late as possible to make sure the hide has some winter growth. I will be doing other hunts in Sept. and Oct.

When would you choose to hunt? How did you handle the hide and/or head( did you keep it, sell it, mount it). What did you do with the skull? Did you grind it all for burger or did you try to get some choice cuts from it? They load it and will haul it to a close by processor but I am thinking of just want to do it myself ( especially if I just grind it all). A mature cow could produce 400# of meat, what did you do with all of it? I know what it sells for in the store. If you sold it, how much did you charge people?

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Try and shoot a cow under 4 years old. Don't shoot a cow over that! Or you'll be eating shoe leather. Or 400 pounds of hamburger.

We have taken a few bison cows. Jackson Hole refuge hunt, and a few of of ranches.

If you are going to get the hide tanned do it hair on, most of the leather maker type outfits will screw you over. We have not had a chrome tanned hide come back we liked.

We opted for the bug cleaned skull on them and they look great. Then again, you won't want to shoot her in the head.

As far as season, do it during Christmas time. She will be as prime as she will get then.

You personally can not legally sell the meat yourself, unless you are a USDA licensed butcher, and the cow was inspected prior to the hunt. Big fines!

We eat a lot of buffalo burgers, buffalo spagetti, jerky, salamis, sausages, buffalo meat balls, out of the burger. Great tasting stuff. Older animal will be tough, don't let anyone tell you different.

The younger cow we shot had great steaks.

Typically we were shooting 1 a year for the meat, but we got a bit backed up and now it's 1 every 2 or 3 years.

YOU CAN NOT LEGALLY SELL THE MEAT! FEDERAL FINES!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    I have had some great buffalo hunts. A couple were on a reservation one was a Wyoming draw which my father drew. The buffalo on the reservation were the most challenging. We went in on horseback. If those bulls saw or smelled you they were gone. U would see them running 2 miles away still hauling butt. It was definitely fair chase and very exciting. One of the bulls was measured for B&C although he was just shy of the mark.

I have a skull mount, a shoulder mount and two hides hair on. My dad is getting older and i had the hide painted telling the story of our hunts together.

Don't grind all the meat into burger. Steaks chops roasts it was all amazing.

Bring sharp knives it takes a lot of cutting and resharpening to get through a cow buff.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    I haven't hunted them Yet but I have eatin alot. It is some of the best meat I've ever ate. I put it up there with young elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    on a cow, I think later/fuller fur would make an awesome rug.

I think I'd just clean the skull for the wall, and get a full hide/rug tanned, especially on a cow.

I had a full shoulder mount and a rug made and that rug was rather small, so do 1 or the other but not both if you ask me.

I used a .340wby 275gr A-Frame, if I had to due over I'd use a 250gr bullet.

I gave away a lot of meat, and still had plenty!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I finaly got to go on my buffalo hunt ( more like a drive by ) Here are the pictures so I'm sure you will be able to see how it went down.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buffalo 004.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	4880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buffalo 006.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	4881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buffalo 022.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	4882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buffalo 025.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	4883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buffalo 026.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	4884
    Last edited by BKC; 12-12-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: wrong word

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Interesting. Enjoy the meat, buffalo is delicious! Out of curiousity, about how much meat will you/did you get out of her?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    About 290# of meat. There were bigger cows and smaller cows but like Eldelwiss, everybody was telling me not to shoot a mature old cow. All the buffalo were huddled together in the herd so it was extremely difficult to get a good look at all the cows, finding a shooter and keep your eyes on her because they were all milling around and I had to try and get one by herself so my bullet didnt get another after the exit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well you looked good doing it Nice work. I shot one a few years back and even with it being as easy as it was. The blood was still pumping.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    what a nice hunt! in 2014 you may be adding a yellowstone grizz to that!