Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bern0134 View Post
    I guess for me regardless of the periodical just a good hunting story is enough to get the blood boiling for this year's hunts ;-). I'm sure any regular Joe like most of us would like to be able to hunt and write reviews about our adventures and the equipment and lessons we've learned along the way and get paid for it regardless of the magazine. However 1 negative I did notice was 1 story being printed in 2 different magazines which I think was unfair since I'm sure the author of the story got prizes from both magazines. Anyone else see that???
    I saw the same story that was in Eastmans (made the cover) and then in the latest Mule Deer Foundation magazine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I cant see a problem with someone getting their story published in 2 places. Im not sure what story it is but it must be pretty good and who cares if they get something for it. Im not jealous of them at all!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSurArcher View Post
    This may not be the place to say it, but in my opinion, Ryan (with the help of his staff of course) has put Western Hunter at the TOP in a very short time. Yeah matte finished covers may be cool and all, but grainy over-edited photos and extremely short, anti-climatic stories have made it hard for me to even open an Eastman's here lately.
    I agree. I quit subscribing to Eastmans' quite a while ago and jumped over to Elk Hunter. Elk and Western Hunter are great magazines.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like Western Hunter and Elk Hunter too, but Eastmans' is still tops IMO. They are the pioneers and they set the bar pretty high. I also like the EHJ and EBJ combo -- gives you something to look forward to each month instead of every other month. Their hunting books are really good too, and I hope they keep more coming...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    cameron hanes, nate simmons, even david long are all awesome top notch elk and mule deer experts and anything they have a hand in publishing will b superb. as for eastmans, eastmans is the daddy of these othere mags... western hunts, elk hunter, extreme elk... if it wasnt for eastmans i dont these the before stated men would have the sucsess they are having now, at least not as soon. the eastman boys are the pioneers of this style of mag. when these other mags begin to grow and become more popular they too will be filled with adds, thats just the mag world. i get all of them, ha, they are all real good learning tools.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My understanding about getting in with a top notch magazine is there's about a 5yr period before the
    $ and ability to advance plateaus. And not referring to Eastman's on this one, but sometimes mgmt can also be so messed up that it causes a mass exodus of friends & family.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    cameron hanes, nate simmons, even david long are all awesome top notch elk and mule deer experts and anything they have a hand in publishing will b superb. as for eastmans, eastmans is the daddy of these othere mags... western hunts, elk hunter, extreme elk... if it wasnt for eastmans i dont these the before stated men would have the sucsess they are having now, at least not as soon. the eastman boys are the pioneers of this style of mag. when these other mags begin to grow and become more popular they too will be filled with adds, thats just the mag world. i get all of them, ha, they are all real good learning tools.

I completely agree. Eastmans started the whole thing and will only be the publication I subscribe to. I do enjoy WH TV show and like to see Nate hunting. I wouldn't limit myself to just one publication as far as a good read and to learn more but as far as all time fav it will always be Eastmans. I pay for my subscription just like everyone else and I want the best bang for my buck.

On a side note Adam Bender has left Eastmans recently. He left in good terms and didn't go to another publication but to fallow a different career opportunity and to be closer to his family.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSurArcher View Post
    This may not be the place to say it, but in my opinion, Ryan (with the help of his staff of course) has put Western Hunter at the TOP in a very short time. Yeah matte finished covers may be cool and all, but grainy over-edited photos and extremely short, anti-climatic stories have made it hard for me to even open an Eastman's here lately.
    I have to agree! I used to read Eastmans cover to cover as soon as I get it. I really enjoyed the section where there was questions for Mike and Guy, but its no longer there. There have been far to many stories that were guided and or private property. I still enjoy Eastmans, just not my favorite anymore.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like Western Hunter and Elk Hunter magazine. I enjoied seeing the photrography section Tony has in the magizine. I like Western Hunter TV as well. It is a very well done production. I'm enjoying their media so far and wish them the best in their endevers.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll always be a loyal EBJ subscriber. I run into the Eastmans from time to time and they are good folks. The fact that they have helped launch a cadre of other successful careers is a benefit to all of us and indicative that they are great at scouting talent as well as bucks/bulls.

Guy took three hours one night to go over his tips and tricks for backpack hunting with me over dinner. He didn't know me, but he agreed to grab a bite and talk hunting. We need more people like that advocating for our lifestyle. Fair chase is the only way.