Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JetBoil

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

JetBoil

Does anybody use them at elevation? If so how do they do? Also for a 7 day backcountry hunt how many fuel canisters would you think I will need to take? Thx

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have one. I've had it a 9k+ elevation with no problems. Depending how cold it is I've heard it can be an issue and need to keep a canister warm to help it in combustion but I've used mine in sub freezing with no problems. Depending if you just use it for heating water for food I've gotten away with a small canister of fuel but that was stretching it. It depends really on your use and your menu. I like my Jetboil. It heats water very fast.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ive used mine at about 11,500' with no problems. I have had a small canister last 3 days with 2 people and not run out. But the canisters dont weigh very much so I always bring an extra if Im going out for more than a couple of days. I have used a lot of different stoves and the Jetboil is supreme from my experience. Dependable too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love mine. I have the sol ti and it is very impressive. Boils 2 cups of water in 1 min 40 sec. I can use a small canister for about 20 boils. I like how everything fits inside the canister.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    l have one as well. I have used it at 10.5K feet with no problems. I think the biggest bonus with any jet boil is the ability to boil water quickly even in the wind. Hard to beat under 2 min boil time even in the wind.

You would only need one canister, but I always take a second for anything more than 3 nights.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I take a second can for anything more than 5 nights. I never seem to run out though. I might have to rethink my "needs."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    I love mine and have used it for 4 years and still on the same tank till last year. But only heated water

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have used mine a lot at 10,000 and above, up to around 12,000 a few times. I always carry and use the MSR 8oz., with the 4 oz in the Jetboil for backup. Sometimes I am out for a while and you can use a lot when melting snow for water. Boiling water is all I do with it. The only problem I have had was the piezo lighter. It always worked great at low altitudes but at 8,000 and above it would go from not reliable to not working. Thinking it was a fuel problem I would sleep with the canister to keep it warm. Started using one of those flint lighters for gas welders and no more problems. It does take longer to boil the same amount of water as elevation goes up, but I don't think you use anymore fuel. Probably would be hard to beat what you get for the weight.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dont use a jetboil, they are WAY TO HEAVY. The pocket rocket weighs only 3 oz. is simple and very small. Its also much more affordable than the jetboil. It may not boil water as fast or be as efficient but it gets the job done at a much lighter weight and much more affordable cost.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    dhershberger,

add up your pocket rocket, cup, and fuel cannister. I bet it comes out heavier than the Jetboil Sol TI. Mine is 8.5 ounces with just the fuel, stove, and cup (no measuring cup, stabiilizer, etc.)