Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So if I understand it right, I am right in thinking I can apply for antelope, mountain goat and deer together?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    the area that i hunt in wyoming opens sept. 20th for type 1 any elk rifle. right smack dab in the middle of the rut....... just takes a few minutes of lookin on the wyoming game and fish web page to see when areas open.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wileywapiti View Post
    the area that i hunt in wyoming opens sept. 20th for type 1 any elk rifle. right smack dab in the middle of the rut....... just takes a few minutes of lookin on the wyoming game and fish web page to see when areas open.
    And he's back!!!! Welcome back wapiti

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    So if I understand it right, I am right in thinking I can apply for antelope, mountain goat and deer together?
    Negative...IF you apply for ONE of the trophy species AKA (Moose, mountain goat, or Sheep) then you can only put in for one of the three and that is all. If you do not apply for one of those three you can put in for all 3 (elk, deer, and antelope.)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Mtnguide is right on, that is my understanding as well. To say it another way, there are two application periods, and you can apply in one of the two application periods.

#1 Early applications (due April 30 I believe), you can apply for sheep OR goat OR moose.

#2 Late applications (due June), you can apply for elk, deer AND antelope.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    And he's back!!!! Welcome back wapiti
    Thanks horsepower.... been a rough go, but the wifes says i need to get back on the horse. so here i am....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wileywapiti View Post
    Thanks horsepower.... been a rough go, but the wifes says i need to get back on the horse. so here i am....
    You know what they say, "Happy Wife, Happy Life". Hang in there wileywapiti. I hope things go a bit smoother for you and that horse your on now is less flighty. Sounds like it has been a bit of a rough go and it gets better soon.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    i will check into it. But i believe idaho only lets you put in for one species only. doesn't matter wether deer, elk, sheep, moose, etc. only one species per year. The unlimited contolled hunt tags are different.
    I will be going into fish and game in a couple of days to apply for mountain goat. i will ask.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    As far as modern materials being better than wool and leather, I still have a hard time with that. I have several suits of LL Beans version of a soft shell gore tex rainwear. I also have similar equipment I was issued by the military made by Arcteryx LEAF, Condor Tactical, Propper, and others. As well as high end German Rascher and Lodenfrey wool hunting clothing, and Beretta wool stuff. And wool-goretex Scottish high country hunting gear made in England and by Laksen that is until you start talking about -30 is the warmest thing I own.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    i will check into it. But i believe idaho only lets you put in for one species only. doesn't matter wether deer, elk, sheep, moose, etc. only one species per year. The unlimited contolled hunt tags are different.
    I will be going into fish and game in a couple of days to apply for mountain goat. i will ask.
    ALL, the 2012 Big Game regs says that if you apply for moose, or sheep, or goats, then you cannot then apply for a controlled deer or elk tag (yes, there are some exceptions, such as depredation hunts, extra controlled hunts, unlimited controlled hunts). This holds true for residents and non-residents. Also, if you drew a controlled antlered-only deer tag in 2011, then you cannot apply for another one in 2012. You have to wait for 2013. You can apply after the 1st drawing if there's any leftover tags. Same thing if you drew an antlered-only elk tag in 2011.

So if you apply for a sheep or goat or moose, then you cannot apply for any controlled elk or deer hunts in the same year (except for the exceptions). That doesn't stop you from, say, applying for a moose tag, and then purchasing a general season elk and/or deer tag.

Hopefully that clarifies. What Umpqua and mtnguide said above is correct.

You can read more in the regs here... http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/...ntHuntInfo.pdf
    Last edited by IdahoHombre; 04-18-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    http://www.idahoman.com/ - an online, outdoors focused magazine, highlighting hunting, fishing, the land, and the issues surrounding those opportunities in Idaho.