Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My hunting "Bucket List" is a 350"+ Bull, 190"+ Mulie, 82"+ Speed Goat and a B.C stone sheep. Oh yeah and a 180"+ white tail. I am ok doing it with a bow or rifle.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My personal slam would be to kill every thing that Montana has to offer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    my personal slam is just to be the most succesfull hunter i can be in whatever species i set out after and to help my father connect on an archery elk and a wall hanger muley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Here are my hunting goals.

Rocky Mountain Elk: 380 class with a rifle and a 340 class with a bow
    Roosevelt Elk: 300 class Roosevelt (rifle or bow)
    Mule Deer: 210 class non-typical with character and mass
    Antelope: At least one that qualifies for B&C
    Sheep: 180 class bighorn
    Blacktail: 140 class blacktail (muzzleloader)
    Red Stag: A big gnarly, heavy antlered red stag (that's been on my list since 1993)

I am not at all stuck on "scores", but they are helpful to define the trophy quality you are shooting for. I do want to harvest at least one animal that qualifies for B&C (oops did I say "harvest"). My very favorite hunting is for elk in the rut.

P.S. I'm thinking a hunting website should not have a spell checker that changes the word "blacktail" into "blackmail"...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    HuskyMusky,

I accomplished one of my goals last year in NM. Similar to your regional lope goal. I took a nice bull elk in each of my 4 prime states.......320" Utah, 340" AZ, 350" NV, then finally scored a 330" in NM last year with my bow. I'd hunted NM the most over the years and been skunked until last year.

Would like a 160" whitetaill and I will draw Iowa this year where I know my spot has 170 class deer.

Would like to score one nice muley 180"-190" some day. I got lots of points for good areas and should get a chance. Should draw UT Paunsagunt this year.

And.........I would like to harvest one sheep of any kind in any state. I got 13-15 points in several states so I may get a chance some day.

Don't know if these last few count as a slam, but that's my goal!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd like to kill a mature animal of every big game species in New Mexico.
    Rock Mountain elk-350"+
    Mule Deer-190"+
    Antelope 82"+
    Oryx-40"+ with lots of mass and big bases
    Since I'm young, its my goal to try to complete the Sheep Slam someday also.
    It would be awesome to get all of these with my bow but I don't mind using a rifle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would love to in my lifetime be able to go to Alaska, NW Territories, or the Yukon for a combination Moose, Sheep, and Grizzly bear hunt. That will most likely never happen. Someday with proper management I may get to hunt Grizzly Bear in Montana. I believe as do many biologists and wardens I have talked to support such a concept and feel it is way past due. A very limited draw hunt would be great. To just say I drew a tag and had a chance to hunt would be awesome.
    David
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not to pick a fight, but why is it that you guys are so worried about score?

I just like hunting mature animals.

I would prefer to take a bull elk that was 12 to 14 years old and had a lot of mass and pearling and big rosen than take a bull elk that was 8 or 9 and could have bred for 3 or 4 more years, but might have scored 370.

As for sheep obviously it is great to shoot a ram that has his lamb tips and is 42 inches long, but what is better to shoot that ram or one that is 14 years old and missing half his right horn?

I killed a very old roe buck in Germany, he had 2 impacted teeth, a cataract, and both antlers had excessive pearling. He was probably 8 years old (super old for a roe buck). I hunted hard for a week to shoot him, most hunters will take 3 younger bucks in that time, I think we were just unlucky. His points were bladed and he was a 5x4 instead of a 3x3. But not non-typical just had extra pearling and really crazy big rosen.

I read an article recently about the idea that we are pushing 14 year old boys to think about gross and net instead of wildlife management.

Just something to think about.

For me, shooting does and old mature males should be the ideals we strive for, as it is the best wildlife management plan. It is very easy to get wrapped around Boone and Crocket scores or SCI scores, as just like everyone else I want a 408 B&C bull elk on the wall.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just for the record I am also a Boone and Crocket Life Member, a member of Safari Club, Wild Sheep, CIC, Grand Slam/Ovis, and most importantly the Varming Hunting Assocation

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mm Remington View Post
    I would love to in my lifetime be able to go to Alaska, NW Territories, or the Yukon for a combination Moose, Sheep, and Grizzly bear hunt. That will most likely never happen. Someday with proper management I may get to hunt Grizzly Bear in Montana. I believe as do many biologists and wardens I have talked to support such a concept and feel it is way past due. A very limited draw hunt would be great. To just say I drew a tag and had a chance to hunt would be awesome.
    David
    MT should totally issue a grizzly tag, even if just 1 total tag, or 2 tags, 1 res and 1 non-res. A start is better than waiting for the perfect plan in 10 years. 1 or 2 boars a year I think MT can handle.

Whatever happened to Eastmans' grizzly poll question? I never saw it published in any of their magazines... they polled it maybe 3 or 4 months ago?
    Last edited by HuskyMusky; 04-17-2012 at 04:21 PM.