Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd like the grand slam of deer on my wall with a mature critter from each of the species, love for a grand slam of sheep, 350+ bull elk, B&C antelope, as well as a Red Stag. In addition to that I'd really like a collection of above average muleys on the wall too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    Not to pick a fight, but why is it that you guys are so worried about score?

I just like hunting mature animals.

I would prefer to take a bull elk that was 12 to 14 years old and had a lot of mass and pearling and big rosen than take a bull elk that was 8 or 9 and could have bred for 3 or 4 more years, but might have scored 370.

As for sheep obviously it is great to shoot a ram that has his lamb tips and is 42 inches long, but what is better to shoot that ram or one that is 14 years old and missing half his right horn?

I killed a very old roe buck in Germany, he had 2 impacted teeth, a cataract, and both antlers had excessive pearling. He was probably 8 years old (super old for a roe buck). I hunted hard for a week to shoot him, most hunters will take 3 younger bucks in that time, I think we were just unlucky. His points were bladed and he was a 5x4 instead of a 3x3. But not non-typical just had extra pearling and really crazy big rosen.

I read an article recently about the idea that we are pushing 14 year old boys to think about gross and net instead of wildlife management.

Just something to think about.

For me, shooting does and old mature males should be the ideals we strive for, as it is the best wildlife management plan. It is very easy to get wrapped around Boone and Crocket scores or SCI scores, as just like everyone else I want a 408 B&C bull elk on the wall.
    no argument about taking a mature buck here, but here in IL, if you take a trophy buck you're taking a mature deer vs a 1.5/2.5yo. Forget trying to take a 8.5yo buck here instead of a 5.5yo.

I'd much rather hunters shoot a trophy buck here than the first buck they saw.

I'd bet somewhere between 1 in 100, and 1 in 1000 of all the bucks shot in IL are 3.5yo or older.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My personal goal is to take a whitetail, muley, antelope, and elk that meet the B&C minimum in my lifetime. I'm talking about the minimum awards score (180 for a muley, 160 for a whitetail) not the all-time recordbook score. At 32 I'm halfway there as I've been fortunate enough to take 3 whitetail and a muley that meet my goal. I think I can get the antelope someday, should draw for Wyoming again this year in a blue chip unit. The elk will be much tougher, but I'll keep trying and maybe things will fall together someday.

I also like to hunt many other species, and am not a true B&C trophy hunter. Lots of times a mature animal with some cool features will draw my eye and I don't worry about score. The exception for me is elk hunting, when a critter that big needs to come out on my back from deep in the backcountry I get pretty selective. I've went home empty handed on several elk hunts already and I'm sure I will again. I don't have to shoot one for the hunt to be a sucess though, seeing that country and having opportunities is rewarding by itself. Plus if I ever want a true giant, I can't have already filled my tag with a smaller one.
    Last edited by mcseal2; 04-17-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My personal goal is the north american sheep grand slam.
    one down three to go.
    North american grand slam would be awesome in my lifetime.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree that score isn't everything. It is just a way to set general goals for animals. Plus, if an animal goes B&C then it is a mature animal.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    I agree that score isn't everything. It is just a way to set general goals for animals. Plus, if an animal goes B&C then it is a mature animal.
    That is not all together true.

There are lots of cases of animals being younger and making BC.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunt strictly public land out west and compete with everyone else that has a tag for a given unit. The percentage of hunters that take B&C animals on public land, especially OTC units is very low. If I have a crack at a giant Muley that is 4.5 instead of 5.5 years old on a DIY public land hunt I am taking him. When I go back to Iowa and hunt my families property I am a little more picky because it is a controlled piece of property. Anyways this is for another thread and off topic.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would like to take all 10 AZ Big Game animals with my bow. I have 5.....got a ways to go.
    Confidence is contagious, so is the lack of - Vince Lombardi

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I am 3\4's of the way to a sheep grand slam. Just need the desert to go.

all this slam talk might get you sued by the grand slam club. (bad joke, i know, but i can't help myself.)