Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

tips for picking a spot to find mule deer

okay guys First off I am from ohio and have never even seen a mule deer myself . we all have hunted whitetail since we were old enough to go. I know mule deer are the same but oh so differant . My question is what do you look for on a map that says good area to try? We are hunting SE montana if this helps . do you look for thick tree areas open county or do you try to stay near what farm country there is out there. any help would be great . we have all the maps and a gps card that shows blm and state and natonal areas . I just need some pointers on how to pick 5 or 6 areas to try . we just dont want to spend 2 days driving around out there when we get there

Thanks
    Congratulations
    fatkid,

In SE MT, I would start looking in the broken badlands country with nearby agricultural feilds. A little timber mixed in helps, too, but the coulees and canyons provide the cover those lowland deer are looking for.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mule deer realy are everywhere in MT. From the crop fields down low to above timberline. I find though, that it tends to be area specific. I have been seeing more mule deer than ever in typical whitetail cootonwood tree river bottoms where 15 years ago there were none, and I have seen a decrease in population in typical mule deer habitat around the rocky mountain front where they have been forever. But thats just where I hunt, like i said it varies by the area. The best thing to do would be to contact the biologist and game warden in the area and ask them. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys Hopefully we get drawn . I just needed someone's input that has been there . I have been looking and looking at all the maps and google earth .It is just such differant country out there than back home here. if you guys could choose would you spend more time in custer our blm property? also they come out with a blm map in august right? how do you contact the people before hand and also how do you find wich ones are scheduel ahead of time only properties