Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Technology is taking the hunt out of hunting.

Is modern technology making us better hunters? Does the so called top of the line equipment make us a better outdoorsman? Does a new custom rifle make you a better shooter? Does a high dollar scope make you more accurate? I say No to all of these questions.
    I think that technology is good to a point, however people get too carried away with the latest and greatest. I also think that people depend on technology to make them a better hunter, when in reality the traditions of hunting are being lost with technology. I also feel that hunting is becoming a rich man’s sport and the equipment they buy is more and more a status symbol that just practical.
    Does the $2000 rifle shoot any better than a $800 rifle? No. The gun that a person uses should be comfortable to them, feel good to them, and then they need to practice with it a lot to good with it. This also can be said with bows, I know that a $500 ready to hunt bow will kill just as many big game animals as the “top of the line” bow will.
    Hunting should be fun, but I also think that people should have to work (hunt) at it a little. Technology is taking the hunt out of hunting

So.Cal., but don't hold that against me...UPDATE, soon to be NM
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    To some extent I agree with you, but I do believe that you buy the best you can afford in boots and optics. That being said I buy $150 boots not $400 and my binoculars are $800 not swarovski's. My rifles have Leupold & Nikon scopes and they are blue printed (btw, they were blue printed before thats even what it was called). But just because I don't wear matching top of the line apparel and have a $500 backpack that doesn't keep me from hunting. It's kind of like the guy that shows up at Bass Pro Shop in a $75,000 truck with all the latest and greatest gagets, my beat up Ford 4x4 gets me to where I'm going. Btw I have never been on a guided hunt, thats way out of my price range, but you will find me chasing Elk, Mulies and Antelope this fall in a couple different states. Not having money to blow on every little this and that will not keep me from spending my days in the marshes, woods and prairies.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will agree with you on some things as well!! Boots and optics, buy what you can afford!! I buy my bows by feel and not price tag or magazine ads. My biggest issue I have is the clothes that are being produced (Sitka, Kuiu) for the price. I am 6'2" 290 and wear a 56 coat and 40 pant and all this gear is cut for a European model. I am in good shape run, road bike, mountain bike all the time. Think you Russell for producing gear big enough for the bigger man!! I learned early in my hunting life that its called hunting not killing and you can have the best of everything and still come home empty handed. It's how hard you prepare and hunt that makes the difference on your success not how expensive your gear is!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This topic came up recently when I took my bow in to get new strings put on it. My bow is 13 years old. The guy at the shop was like, sure, i'll string it, but don't you think you should be looking into new bows? At first I was inclined to agree with him, but then it hit me. As long as this bow hasn't become physically broken, it will still put down animals like it did back in 1999.

Sure, I might be able to extend my range 20 yards by upgrading to the latest and greatest, but do I want to? I enjoy archery hunting, and to me that is all about getting within 40 yards. I can save the $$$ to get another tag!
    DIY til I DIE

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    I buy what I can afford. I also like to upgrade my gear if I can. I also thing that as far as boots and clothing you get what you pay for. I've spent alot of money on boots that have a life time no questions asked warranty. IMO why buy a new pair of boots every other year and spend more money in the long run. Also IMO the high dollar gun.... If you don't practice neither gun will perform, if you can't see the animal you searching for that a expensive scope or bino isn't gonna find them for you. My point is technology is only going to continue to grow in the hunting industry and it will make a good hunter a better hunter and a beginner hunter well without time in the field and practice the high dollar equipment he is using won't be used at its full potential unitll he gains the experience using it. With all that said no a guy does not need to have all the best gear to be a proficient hunter but it can help to be a more efficient hunter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I agree that having sound hunting fundamentals is paramount, and that one can be a good, dedicated hunter without the best, newest gear.

However, I do think that once you have those fundamentals, better gear makes you a better hunter.

Better optics allow you to see more, especially early or late.

Laser rangefinders have taken the guesswork out of range estimation, which has aided both gun and bow hunters immensely.

Modern high-end hunting clothes are light years ahead of older clothing types in how they let your body work more naturally (breathability) and better protect it from the elements. This allows you hunt harder, longer, and safer.

GPS and communication devices provide a much safer backcountry experience.

Newer stuff is lighter, and lighter stuff allows you to hunt further and longer.

I appreciate the advantages of new technology in hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think it all comes down to each individual, their goals, skills and comfort zones. It also is important to note that one person's hunting style may differ to another. One person may want to go as far back as they can to their hunting roots in history and or heritage to get the most out of their hunting experience and that is what truly is important to them. Others are ok with using some modern technology to help make their hunting experience more successful and safer.

I'm one of those that likes hunting because of its primal heritage and roots. I like being in the outdoors and having the privilege to hunt animals. I'm one of those individuals that is ok with using some modern technology to help make their hunting experience more successful and safer.

A well placed legal hunting projectile weather it be a low dollar one to a high dollar one with the right amount of velocity kills. Is there a better or best way to do it? Perhaps that rests with each of us as individuals.
    Last edited by Kevin Root; 04-18-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm old school, ans so is my gear. I paid $25 for used pair of Leupold binos. I don't even own a scope. I wouldn't own a GPS. I could go on, but it isn't important. We all have our own way of doing things.

I did draw the line with boots though. I bought a pair of Meindl boots 7 years ago for $225. I felt like a dummy for doing it then, but i've worn them everyday since, and they still look good. So, not a bad decision at all.

I think you're fine as long as you don't think money will make you a better hunter. Only time and hard work will do that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Finally, someone said it..money DOES NOT make you a better hunter or sportsman. My thoughts are that the high priced gun and the totally amazing optics gives a person a false sense of ability. They buy the pricey equipment assuming that they now will be able to take that rediculous shot, having never practiced the shot, but because they have the $2000 rifle and the $1800 scope they take the shot.
    Stop believing the hype and watching stupid hunting shows. Everyone knows 90% of the time the show doesn't show the guy taking 10 shots but the guide screams "one shot kill"...
    People need to learn there how there equipment operates. Guarantee I can grab a friend of mine who shoots his $800 rifle with his $600 scope regularly, and out shoot someone who has the $4000 setup all day...
    Archery is no exception!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hope it never gets to the point to where the common man/avg hunter has to be able to shoot an elk at 800yds just to have a successful hunt.

I still think the majority of hunters go into the woods with a bow/rifle maybe a light pack with essential gear, binos, and hit the woods!