Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I honestly think the difference it makes is small as far as animals being harvested. The saying 10% of the hunters harvest 90% of the elk will always hold true with most every species. Id say most of those 10% arent decked out in sitka gear, wearing swaros around there neck, and shooting a custom rifle. They're just good hunters.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    persoanlly, i don't think you should judge someone for what they have, but how they act. I have came accross rich slobs and poor slobs. Also have been around good hunters that where both rich and poor. Judge one by the actions, not the clothes.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    persoanlly, i don't think you should judge someone for what they have, but how they act. I have came accross rich slobs and poor slobs. Also have been around good hunters that where both rich and poor. Judge one by the actions, not the clothes.
    The difference is, the guy with the low cost gear doesn't think he's a good hunter because of his gear.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I dont think that having the most expensive things makes you a better hunter or anything like that. I do think that having some of the new technology is good though. I know a lot of people that don't carry a gps or anything with them. Personally, I have 2 gorgeous kids that I love coming home to everynight and I will spend as much money as needed to have some of the top of the line technology. When I go out, I make sure I always have my gps, spot, iPhone and solar panel. Having those things isn't taking the hunt out of hunting. It doesn't tell me where the elk are bedded or eating. I think that with bows and guns, it doesn't matter the age. I buy expensive gear such as kenetrek boots, under armour gear and such because even though it cost a little more, I know it is going to stand up to the elements and it's going to last a long time. New technology doesn't make you a better hunter but it's designed to help you on your hunts but some of it does have upgrades and updates from stuff ten years ago that are very handy to have. I don't see any problem with using technology hunting and I don't think it makes me any less of a hunter. I just like to feel comfortable and have a sense of safety.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like top notch gear. I like clothes that are wind proof, light weight, and water proof. I like binos and scopes that don't fog. I like a bow that shoots flat, tight and smooth. I like to not get lost. And, I like boots that only hurt my feet a little. If I have to pay a little more for said gear, then it's worth it.

But, I'll never dog a guy for not having top of the line gear, and I'll never attribute my success as a hunter to my gear, cause I know how hard I've really worked to learn the things that have made me the hunter that I am.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The technology that helps me the most is Google Earth. I can study new areas before I hunt them and learn the terrain, so that I like. I just got a GPS (don't know how to use it), I have a range finder (I usually forget to use it) I hunt deer with the my 40yr old rifle with a 26yr old Leupold scope, my elk rifle is 14 years old and cost $400. I bought a new bow last year for $500 and it killed my bull last year with no problem. Some new stuff does help, but I dont think you need the newest, most expensive gear to be a good hunter. In fact I think some new stuff makes for sloppy hunters. The one thing I don't understand is the $10,000 four wheeler, thats more than my truck cost! I dont own a four wheeler and don't plan on it either. I typiacly hunt where they wouldn't do any good anyways. I would rather save my money for fuel to go hunting/scouting than to spend it on expensive gear. One thing I've always loved about hunting is that it doesnt have to cost much money to be successful.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok, I spent a lot on my version of a 4wheeler, but I use it for more than hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like that four wheeler! I have a couple of Jeeps too, don't use them much for hunting anymore though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is a sweet lookin rig Old Hunter!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I like top notch gear. I like clothes that are wind proof, light weight, and water proof. I like binos and scopes that don't fog. I like a bow that shoots flat, tight and smooth. I like to not get lost. And, I like boots that only hurt my feet a little. If I have to pay a little more for said gear, then it's worth it.

But, I'll never dog a guy for not having top of the line gear, and I'll never attribute my success as a hunter to my gear, cause I know how hard I've really worked to learn the things that have made me the hunter that I am.
    Great post Fink. I agree completely.