Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    I use a BLM map to make sure I'm in the right hunting unit. I use a GPS to make sure I'm not trespassing. I use a cell phone to let my wife know I'm okay. I don't have a problem hunting hard, I have a bad back that would make it impossible to pack out a deer or pronghorn in a laundry bag so I have an Eberlestock pack. I enjoy hunting whether I kill anything or not but make no mistake, I hunt to kill stuff, if I didn't I could save a ton of money on tags, guns, packs and a lot of other stuff and just look at animals. For me the kill is the climax of a successful hunt and in fact what hunting is all about.

Bob
    I was simply pointing out my way. I never asked you to do it my way.

I really don't care how you do it. That would be your way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have read thru the entire thread but I apoligize if I repest a prior post. I have hunted with some real num nuts before that couldn't possibly be helped by technolgy. They couldn't tell direction of the wind from direction to the mall. They made enough noise in the woods to scare every living creature within 1000 yards. They did not have the skills to be a good hunter. Not saying that people don't get lucky but this is normally not the case with this type of hunter. You have to have basic underlying skills if you want technology to help you out. I would love to have the new 1000 hp ford mustang but I would probably have it wrapped around the first telephone pole on the highway. I just don't have the skill for that technology.

Now a good hunter with good skills can be helped by technolgy. If you understand your equipment and know what differences it can make to have just a little bit better equipment ( technolgy) then it can improve your abilities.

My first rifle ( 30.06 springfield 03a3 ) pales in comparison to what I shoot now but it still killed game. I wore flannel for years and got soaked to the bone but still managed to stay out in the field. I never owned a gps untill I couldn't find where I tied up my horses in a heavy snow ( I did eventually find them after dark). Having basic skills is the prerequisite for sucess.

Now about the money. Financially, it is suppose to get easier to afford the things you want as you get older. Not always the case but basically that is the way it happens. Some people have money from day one and some people have to work their a$$ off just to make do. Don't knock anyone for how they dress or what equip they own. If they have it or don't have it, WHO CARES! Just go hunt. You can't buy skill.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Dang, I think I'm gonna sell all my gear.

This fall I'm only hunting by throwing a rock, since using a sling to hurl it would be too technologically advanced. I'll walk to wherever it is I am going hunting since driving my truck is using technology only available in the last 100 year or so. Fortunately for me there are deer, elk, turkeys and waterfowl near my house. Of course I'll be barefoot, better begin to toughen those feet up now. I'll only eat what I kill or plants or seeds that I find, nothing from the grocery store for me. I'll only drink water as I find it. Fortunately there is a large pond nearby. Unfortunately it will likely have giardia after a warm summer, but no water filters or chlorine tablets for me. I'll cup my hands to drink it, to use a container would certainly be a no no. I'll cook over an open fire but only with fire I discover from a lightening strike. I'd hate to use matches or even a bow and stick to get the fire going. No caves nearby so I will have to figure out a shelter, which I can fashion using only my bare hands using no tools whatsoever. I'll only clothe myself with clothes I make from the things I find or kill, though I am really not sure how I'll skin the animal yet as I would hate to use a pointy stick or even a rock that I chipped into a knife. Then again would using clothes, even clothes that I made be violating the spirit of the hunt? I'm not quite sure if I should buy a tag or not, since I would have to purchase the tag using money, a tool for trade. Besides the tag is printed on thermal paper, an advancement in the last 20 years or so. Also to hunt only during the open season would be to observe laws derived from biological science used to manage wildlife.

That doesn't sound like much fun, maybe I'll take up golf. But hasn't technology given us unfair advantages from the golfing legends of the past, such as clubs with huge sweet spots. I know, for a ball I will go to the river and look for a perfectly spherical rock, then find a stick about as long as my leg with a 110 degree bend near one end and .........

Actually, I'm grateful for the times we live in, and we are blessed like no other generation to have lived on this planet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Dang, I think I'm gonna sell all my gear.

This fall I'm only hunting by throwing a rock, since using a sling to hurl it would be too technologically advanced. I'll walk to wherever it is I am going hunting since driving my truck is using technology only available in the last 100 year or so. Fortunately for me there are deer, elk, turkeys and waterfowl near my house. Of course I'll be barefoot, better begin to toughen those feet up now. I'll only eat what I kill or plants or seeds that I find, nothing from the grocery store for me. I'll only drink water as I find it. Fortunately there is a large pond nearby. Unfortunately it will likely have giardia after a warm summer, but no water filters or chlorine tablets for me. I'll cup my hands to drink it, to use a container would certainly be a no no. I'll cook over an open fire but only with fire I discover from a lightening strike. I'd hate to use matches or even a bow and stick to get the fire going. No caves nearby so I will have to figure out a shelter, which I can fashion using only my bare hands using no tools whatsoever. I'll only clothe myself with clothes I make from the things I find or kill, though I am really not sure how I'll skin the animal yet as I would hate to use a pointy stick or even a rock that I chipped into a knife. Then again would using clothes, even clothes that I made be violating the spirit of the hunt? I'm not quite sure if I should buy a tag or not, since I would have to purchase the tag using money, a tool for trade. Besides the tag is printed on thermal paper, an advancement in the last 20 years or so. Also to hunt only during the open season would be to observe laws derived from biological science used to manage wildlife.

That doesn't sound like much fun, maybe I'll take up golf. But hasn't technology given us unfair advantages from the golfing legends of the past, such as clubs with huge sweet spots. I know, for a ball I will go to the river and look for a perfectly spherical rock, then find a stick about as long as my leg with a 110 degree bend near one end and .........

Actually, I'm grateful for the times we live in, and we are blessed like no other generation to have lived on this planet.
    This made Friday a bit better for me Umpqua Hunter and made me chuckle. I was blessed by this post .

I also see where others on the thread are coming from a bit in wanting to hunt the way they do, with what they have been given and or honor their heritage or what was passed down to them. I'm thankful to all that have posted here and to have heard their thoughts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Umpqua I needed that. Today has been kinda slow at the shop. LMAO

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    This was on Ike's Blog. Thought it was appropriate for this thread.

These days with cell phones taking the place of laptops and laptops taking the place of tower computers – not to mention tablets and MP3 players – it’s safe to say technology is moving much faster than anyone thought it would. You can be driving down the highway at 75 miles per hour talking to your hunting buddy on the phone, getting driving directions to the closest fuel station on your GPS, listening to your MP3 player and checking your draw results for Wyoming sheep, moose and mountain goat all at the same time. I would say this is the definition of multitasking. In fact, it’s down right dangerous, because you are not paying attention to the thing that threatens your life. Driving!! So please concentrate on driving and do everything you can to do that safely.

Technology is a great thing; it allows us to do more things at the same time, get updated information at light speed and communicate with people all over the world at the same speed. There is a hitch in technology, though, when companies, people or agencies don’t keep up with the changes.

I was talking to my sister the other day, who works for our local school district. She mentioned that she has been busy inputting a stack of reports at least 24 inches tall from teachers. Being the entrepreneur that I am and the admiral for efficiencies, I asked, “What program do the teachers give it to you in and why can’t they just input it once and it uploads to the other required places?” Her non-verbal response was a deep sigh and a roll of the eyes. Her verbally response was, “A different program.” Then she went on to complain how inefficient the district is, because they have to do so many reports in so many systems, and all of it is for track-ability to the State and Federal government, but it’s the same information over and over again in each database. The entire time I was thinking that with all of this technology, why can’t they make this more efficient? It seems like in these times you either move with technology or you get left behind.

Later that day, I got on the Wyoming Game & Fish website to try and apply for my resident antelope, elk, and deer tags. I kept getting a message – “ERROR – Browser not supported (Requires Internet Explorer 6.x or Netscape 7.x)”.

The Wyoming Game and Fish website needs a little more than an overhaul.
    So I asked the guys in my office who would know what this means and they get this blank look on their faces and say, “I’m not sure we have a computer in the office that old!) OLD, what does that mean? Apparently Netscape is not even supported any longer (for those tech-deficient people like me) that means it isn’t really in use anymore. They have changed it to something else. Microsoft Explorer is upgrading all of their customers to Explorer 10.x. So I ask them, “You are telling me that I have to go down in the basement and get a computer that has not been in service for two years, hook it up and then apply for my licenses on it?”

What did I do last year? Apparently we had one computer in our shipping and receiving that still had the old Explorer on it. It has since been upgraded for security reasons -which, by the way, according to what I am hearing, there are some serous security issues with Explorer 6 – 8.

So as I am using this old system, which is like going back to blue-screen technology, it dawns on me that I have to put my personal information, credit card number and mailing address into this archaic system. So I ask the question, “What would it take for some smart hacker, somewhere, to break into this system and steal the personal identity of hundreds of thousands of hunters?” I also asked the question, “Why would a department that is 100% self-funded by the sale of hunting tags and fishing licenses make applying and purchasing those licenses so hard to complete? Does this scare or make sense to anyone else?

I wonder what is going to happen to my identity? Well at least they are making it harder to apply, which could mean my draw odds will be better, because not everyone has a computer in their basement that OLD.

As always, thanks for your support and I hope you find yourself with a great tag in hand this summer and a true trophy this fall.

Show Season Wrap Up

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Oh and by the way UH I almost fell of the stool I was sitting on with internal laughter after reading your post! Now that how you BREAK it DOWN!!!! I am at the local watering hole and had to contain myself.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I guess if I had to depend on computer software to kill an elk. I'd be in trouble.

My 60 year old Woolrich jacket still keeps me warm while hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Glad you guys had fun with that...I was cracking up writing it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    I guess if I had to depend on computer software to kill an elk. I'd be in trouble.

My 60 year old Woolrich jacket still keeps me warm while hunting.
    I don't know, OH, I think you are on the cutting edge in technology with that Woolrich. Wool fabric hunting clothes are all the rage in high-tech hunting wear right now. Funny how things come around ...