Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ThreeTikkas,

What is a 25-Otter and what kind of velocity are you getting? Assuming that is a 100 yard group it looks like a shooter for sure!

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Three Tikkas,

Ok that's what I was thinking but ya never know. Thanks for all of the info. I am going to try and pick up some powder today and give it a go tomorrow after class.
    Joe Buttice
    Twisted Addiction
    Oregon State University
    Forest Management
    Bennett Lumber Products Inc.
    Lumber Salesman

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    ThreeTikkas,

What is a 25-Otter and what kind of velocity are you getting? Assuming that is a 100 yard group it looks like a shooter for sure!

Bob
    That's just another nick name for the 25/06, i.e. Otter Six, 30 Otter,25 Otter,you know Ye Ole Otter. Yep,that's a 100yd group. They should have all been in the same hole. It was blowing pretty good left to right,and I was in a hurry. Didn't wait on the wind flags like I should have. As for velocity,it's been running 3,050 +/- a few fps. I could probably stand another half grain for sure,maybe a full grain,but why run hot for another 50 or 60 fps? I'll likely leave it where it is.
    Last edited by ThreeTikkas; 05-01-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeTikkas View Post
    That's just another nick name for the 25/06, i.e. Otter Six, 30 Otter,25 Otter,you know Ye Ole Otter. Yep,that's a 100yd group. They should have all been in the same hole. It was blowing pretty good left to right,and I was in a hurry. Didn't wait on the wind flags like I should have. As for velocity,it's been running 3,050 +/- a few fps. I could probably stand another half grain for sure,maybe a full grain,but why run hot for another 50 or 60 fps? I'll likely leave it where it is.
    Awesome, thanks! I just picked up a new .25-06 the other day in a trade. Waiting for dies to come in now!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you read one of my earlier posts you know I've been shooting the 25-06 since the 60's, before it was a factory load. It used to be called the .25 Neider. Probably more than you want to Know!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Way to go BobT! It really is a joy to work with. Oh there are times that I wish for a little more poop with the heavier bullets. Not for any reasons based in fact or reality. Just the old human "I want more" syndrome. Thats why there is a 270 Win,or 257 Weatherby. More options and more guns to drool over. By and large,the old 25/06 will do way more than it is given credit for. 85gr Ballistic tips and RL19 makes a super long range woodchuck round. Pills of 100,110,and 117gr are very pleasent and effective deer medicine. If I had a Black Bear that I wanted to smite,I can't think that the 120gr Partition would have any trouble getting the job done. If all I owned was a 25/06 I sure wouldn't give up elk hunting. With the bullets available to us these days the playing field has leveled quite a bit. You're going to enjoy the new iron.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Go to shootersproshop.com. This is Nosler's outlet store. Some real deals on cosmetic blemish bullets and overstocks. Although, I cannot find any blemishes on the ones I bought.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used to buy 2nds from Sierra when they were in California and I lived near them. Bought them by the pound. I talked to one of their sales people and they told me that when a certain number of of a lot of bullets was defective, they dumped the whot lot. I used to look for obvious blemishes, weigh them and then roll them for concentricity. usually only found a couple of bad ones.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I did the same thing. One of the big reasons for rejects was if a bullet die became worn enough that the bullet was off the slightest bit from specs., the entire lot was rejected. Nothing wrong with the bullets, other than they did not match, but they shot fine and killed fine. It was a sorry day when they relocated from Sante Fe Springs to Missouri. Just another benefit of having the AQMD!